Review by MAX PAIN

"An incredible Fighter Combat Game"

Summary: First, I haven't played an Air combat game since Jet fighter II. Having said that, I think that Ace Combat 4 is one of the most incredible games out there. That being said, this game has re-interested me in the genre of Combat Flight Simulators.

Game play 9/10: Easy to use controls and an easy interface make this game incredible. The only Issue I had at all is that a continue point might be helpful on some of the longer missions. I can't say how many time I'd be flying a 20 minute long mission that would end with me trying to show off and bumping into something too close to the ground, resulting in a restart. Other then that, this is one of the best games I have ever played, and It's got me into the Ace Combat series. One thing that should really be noted is the "replay" feature. At the end of each mission, you get a replay of the past few minutes. Or, if you die, it shows about 10 seconds before your death to the moment of your death. It was pretty cool seeing what it actually looked like when I was flying in the replay, as well as watching the missiles track to their targets.

Graphics 8/10: Early PlayStation 2 graphics so don't expect too much here. However, they were probably the best they could do for the time it was released. The planes are done incredibly well and look real, but the ground looks pretty bad and has no details. Also, the tanks appear to be boxes with smaller boxes on top of them...

Sound 10/10: Each weapon has a different sound, and explosions sound like explosions.

Storyline 10/10: This is where the game shines. The cut-scenes are done in still-motion anime style drawing. Now, not your "Dragonball z or Naruto" style, more like "Full metal panic" or "Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS team" style. More serious and realistic then anything else. Also, the story they follow isn't you. It follows the story of a young boy who befriends a group of fighter-pilots whose leader unintentionally killed his family (plane he shot down crashed into their house). Every few missions, they show a cut scene about how the war is effecting the boy in his hometown and how it effects the enemy fighter squadron. I enjoyed the storyline at least as much as I enjoyed the game play.

Multi player N/A: I didn't have anyone to play multi player with, so I couldn't really test it out...

Overall 9/10: Probably one of the best made games I have ever played.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/21/08

Game Release: Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies (US, 11/01/01)