Review by vgxtremist

"Amazing! Simply Just Amazing!!!"

The moment I bought this game in the summer, (June sometime) I knew this game would simply be awesome. My prediction was right and here it is, November, and I'm still playing this game. Truly the greatest flight simulation game on the Playstation 2 and maybe even in the history of video games!

When I fired up the game the first time and went through my first mission, my jaw dropped. Jets are detailed almost to exact replica of real life. The background is simply awe-inspiring. From the snow capped mountains to the falling asteroids in the last mission, it was always a new experience for me and my father. Heck, even my father was impressed! Even the trailing smoke from missiles and the explosions of bombs and downed enemies will get you all hyped up and forget about the action. My only complaint is why doesn't the shot down planes just explode into pieces? That would of been a lot cooler then a ignited plane descending to the ground!

Once you're done staring at the amazing graphics of this game,you'll finally be able to admire one of the strongest points in the game... the sound. Sounds from the jet engines
are from the real life aircraft engines. Even the talk exchanged between other Aces is loud and clear! The soundtrack to this game is perfectly executed to each mission, bringing out the right atmosphere for the mission. There are so many nicely done sounds in this game that I could make an entire review on this game merely by stating all the sounds!

Obviously, it's rather hard to put variety in a flight simulation game, considering it all adds up to shooting down enemy aces. However, Namco did a great job by incorporating the ''fun'' element to the ''seek and destroy'' element of all flight sims. Especially the last mission. I tell you what it is, but I don't want to spoil it for you... Anyway, there is a Story Mode, where you go through a war against the enemy and buy new jets and weapons along the way. There's multiplayer, which sadly, is only 2 players and they didn't have Internet capabilities ''back then''. You get more modes and options after you beat the game once, but I won't spoil them.

Play Control: 9/10
At first, the turning may seem awkward at first, (or at least it did to me) but it's turns out to be perfect in the end and when you get more experience.

Value: 8/10
I know that not everybody will play this game as long as I probably have, but it's pretty fun going through each difficulty level and trying to top your high score from the earlier game. Multiplayer could of maybe used some work, but it does last itself for a while.

Overall: 9.2
Like I said earlier. Quite possibly the greatest flight sim game for the PS2, heck maybe even video game history... for now. With the announcement of AC 5, I won't be able to rest easy until that game comes out. Let's just pray it shatters what Shattered Skies set out and achieved.

If any ?'s, just contact me. I be willing to try and answer them myself.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/10/02, Updated 11/10/02