Review by AngelbladeVII

"The Fantasy Continues..."

The Final Fantasy saga continues with this latest installment in the already historic library of Final Fantasy games, Final Fantasy XII is a must have for not just Final Fantasy fans, but all gamers who love intense RPGs.

Square-Enix has replaced the usual turn-based Final Fantasy fights with battles in real time. Instead of having to take turns to fight, your party can attack on their own based on your strategy. Now, why, you may ask, did I give the gameplay a 9/10 if it sounds so great? Simply put, the battles may be in real time, but its not the kind of fighting like in Square's Kingdom Hearts series. You have to wait for an action bar to load for any action to take place. Still, this allows Square's Final Fantasy series to still retain a portion of its well-known RPG battles. As for the quests, bosses, and areas, they're all great! There are many bosses you can encounter throughout the game (and not just in the storyline). You can go on dozens of quests that allow you to do things from delivering letters to killing evil monsters. The maps are great and allow a wide area of space for you to explore. Of course, I can't forget to mention summonings. Throughout the game, you can obtain up to 13 espers to help you in battles. In addition to espers, you can use special mist techniques (called quickenings) to deal serious damage to your enemies. All in all, the gameplay in FFXII is better than ever.

The story is better than ever. While I don't want to spoil any plot points for you (if you haven't bought the game yet and are considering it), I can at least tell you that once again you'll encounter a Princess, some vagabonds, and a few good-looking women along the way (even if some of them have bunny ears).

I gave a 10/10 because for the PS2, these graphics are amazing! Unlike in normal Square games where they have the best quality cut-scenes in the opening and ending scenes, Square has placed several high-quality cut-scenes throughout the game. Even without these high-quality scenes, the graphics look great.

The sound system is also great. The songs throughout the game are perfect for each area and each boss and it really makes you feel what kind of environment you're in. The battle sounds are good too and aren't over exaggerated, making the gameplay seem much more realistic.

Final Fantasy XII was a great game and is the kind of RPG that you can play over and over again and not grow tired of it. Truly a welcome addition to Square's already astounding Final Fantasy saga. It makes me all the more anxious for Final Fantasy XIII!!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 10/01/07

Game Release: Final Fantasy XII (US, 10/31/06)