Review by benthekid22

"A worthwhile RPG game to pick up for the PS2."

This was one of my favorite PS2 games for a long time. It has some great gameplay that will keep you hooked until you beat it at least 2-3 times. I could hardly put the game down my first run through. Me and my brother both had a blast. Really enjoyable gameplay. Now on to the review.

Gameplay (9/10) - Like Diablo, you hack 'n slash your way through tons of enemies. There are 3 characters to choose from. A Human Archer who specializes in arrows and ranged attacks, a Barbarian Dwarf who specializes in melee/close up battles with battle axes and stuff like that, and an Elven Sorceress who specializes in magic. The sorceress really is my favorite out of all of them. She can do stuff like magic missiles and lightning balls. They all have there pros and cons. I've tried all 3 and there all really good. You can't go wrong with any of them. They each present there own style of play. The controls are perfect. You use your L2 and R2 buttons to replenish your health and mana. Then there's all the other buttons like X to attack, R1 for blocking enemies, etcetera. You won't be leaving one button untouched in this game. They're all used in some way. There is a ton of weapons through out the game you can pick up and/or buy. A few to name are axes, bows, hammers, and polearms. Each weapon has there abilities. Like freezing effects, or acid affects, or even increased attack rate. Great job on the weapons in this. There is also a stat system. For every level you gain, you get points to use. You can use the points for a lot of different things. One thing that is a bit disappointing is that you can't talk to anyone you like, only to certain people. Overall the gameplay was done well.

Story (9/10) - The story is pretty good. You start off in town getting mugged and getting everything taken away. You seek help at the Tavern and the owner helps you after you complete a few things. Then your off on your own to try to figure out the mysteries that are happening in Baldur's Gate. After you find out what's going in Baldur's gate you will be taken to new lands, new adventures, and new mysteries. It is up to you find what is up.

Graphics (10/10) - You couldn't ask for anything better. Hacking through enemies looks awesome as you see them crumble before your feet. Snowblind Studios obviously put forth great effort into the graphics. Just the detail of your weapons, and the look of the game. While watching the bubbles ripple through the water you are like, "wow". Overall the environment looks great.

Sound (10/10) - The sound is unique and fits the game well. There is also voice acting which is really cool. You can hear the details like water splashing in the sewers or rats making noises in the distance. Every enemy has it's own certain noises and weapon effects which is really cool. I have to give this score a 10.

Multiplayer (9/10) - The multiplayer is an awesome addition. You can go through the game with your friend or whoever. It makes the replay even longer.

Replayability (8/10) - The reason it didn't get higher is because of course, just like most any other RPG you can't keep re-beating it because you'll get tired of the same thing over and over again. There is actually 4 difficulties so that should make it a little longer. You can also export your character to a different save. Therefore if you had a game on easy you could create a new save and export your character from the easy (difficulty) game to the normal (difficulty) game. You first run through it will take you about 10-12 hours if you level up some. You'll enjoy playing it 2-3 times through I'm sure.

Conclusion - You should definitely consider purchasing this game. It is a very worthwhile experience beating this. Look no further if your looking for a good RPG.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/21/06