Review by Strayster28

"Pick-up-and-play Golf"

Before I played this game, I used to hate golf as a video game. I would buy the old crappy Tiger Woods games and get bored of the quite quickly. Basically, this video game changed my views on the genre.

This is what makes the game a ''Pick up and play''. You don't need to know any fancy stuff about vectors, angles, or loft. The swing system is an old fashioned 3-Click method, which allows you to have a sort of digital feel to how far the ball is going to travel. There are special chipping modes for when you get closer to the pin which makes it just that more simple. There is some timing (actually a lot of timing) involved in it, which is the only thing that may frustrate people. You can play one round at your friends house and still do fairly well, thanks to this incredibly user friendly interface.

Story: NE
If there was a story in this game, I must have missed it. I guess there is a little bit of something in the Vs. mode, but that is negligible.

Audio/Video: 7
Let me just say this: The Graphics and sound quality of this game are amazing. You can tell exactly what everything on the course is, right down to the dragonflies buzzing around the greens. The characters are somewhat cartoony, but that just adds to the feel of the game. The weather effects are realistic, right down to the droplets of rain that fall occasionally during your round. The sound is of a very high quality, but the music can get repetitive after a while and (for me) it kind of sounded like elevator music. The comments made by spectators during the tournaments can get annoying, but luckily there is an option to turn those off.

Replayability: 8/10
The features in this game seem to be practically endless. 25+ tournaments, 30 un lockable characters, tons of different balls and clubs, 5 different courses, the list goes on and on. There is a ranking system involved so that even after you have finished all the tournaments and unlock all the characters, you can still try to better your score and achieve the rank of ''Almighty''. After a while though, you may get tired of the game and just quit, but it's as easy as a knife through butter to come back and play a quick round or two against a couple of your buddies.

Buy or Rent?
I'd say rent, just on the fact that its safer to see how much it fits your tastes first. If you even have one slight urge to play it after the rental period has expired, buy it. Its only $40 dollars in most places anyway.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 08/30/02, Updated 08/30/02