Review by AcidDragon

"Wow! This is one amazing fighter!"

Intro - The first thing I have to say about Soul Calibur II is, WOW! This game has the most amazing look of any fighting game that I’ve ever played. From the swishing of the costumes as the warriors perform aerial maneuvers, to the amazing detail in the backgrounds. Honestly I can’t say I’ve ever seen or played a better fighting game. Now I’ll go into detail describing exactly what makes Soul Calibur II so remarkable.

Graphics 10/10 – The unmistakable look of this series sets this game apart from the start. The demo itself looks better that many games on the market, while the finished product tops even that! The cloth physics in the countless battles will keep you staring in awe even if you are getting the tar beaten out of you. Meanwhile the environments are engaging enough to make you feel like you are actually in this incredible world. No matter how often you play you will always be taken aback by these graphics.

Gameplay 10/10 – Dang! This is some fluid gameplay! I’ve had some bad experiences with fighting games (DBZ Bodukai anyone?) but this game has made me forgive the genre. The response time is unbelievable; the characters do exactly what you tell them to when you tell them to. And, the attacking and blocking engines are superb; if you become skilled enough the matches can become an intense back and forth. The training mode is very helpful in mastering the characters though; I ended up spending hours just perfecting moves and combos. I’m sure you’ll probably do the same.

Sound 9/10 – First, the sound in Soul Calibur II is nothing short of movie quality. It seems like you are in the middle of an action movie set in ancient China if you just listen too it. My only request is that they included different songs for different songs for certain battles, not the random selection. Maybe be able to choose a song yourself?

Modes 10/10 – Ah, the modes… At first I was overwhelmed by the sheer amount of them. There is enough gaming here to keep even the most hardcore fighting fan occupied for weeks even months at a time. There are 8 modes altogether, Arcade, Vs Battle, Time attack, Survival, Team battle, Vs Team Battle, Practice, and finally weapon master. As if you didn’t have enough on your plate, there are a few characters to unlock, 20 characters in total. Have fun trying to master them all.

Replayability 9/10 – Like many fighting games it’s hard to judge replayability as long as you have a friend and an extra controller. But this game caters to the lone Soul Calibur II fanatic as well. If you are up to it, it’s possible to beat weapons master and arcade mode with each character allowing for near endless possibilities, not to mention the insane amount of unlockable extras this game has. There are alternate costumes, over 10 extra weapons for each character, and profiles! So say goodbye to your family and pop in this game.

Conclusion – This game is a classic and must be owned by anyone with a PS2, Gamecube, or XBOX (PC owners I’m sorry). In fact instead of reading my review you could be getting this game. So shut down your computer, grab the car keys (or beg your mom) and drive down to the nearest store and pick up a copy of this game!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/28/03