Review by fff71189

"A Nazi-stomping blood(less) fest'"

Medal of Honor: Frontline

One of the most hyped FPSs to grace the PS2, Medal of Honor: Frontline delivers in an extraordinary way despite its minor flaws.

Story - 7/10
It's 1944. Nazi Germany has reached the height of its power, and the allied powers have reached the height of their offense on their war machine. Enter Jimmy Patterson, the silent hero. From a beach landing at D-day Normandy to undercover rescue operations in a huge mansion, every enemy kill brings you one step closer to your ultimate goal: the capturing of a prototype German jet fighter, and the elimination of it's project leader, a man named Sturmgeist. As far as shooters go, the story in MOH:F is typical. It's developed more than many shooters I've played, but it's nowhere near as good or grand a story as some such as HALO. Despite that, it is based on a real event, so minor bonus points for that.

Graphics - 9/10
For an early PS2 title, the graphics in this game are quite beautiful. Lighting is very well done, and textures range from bland to stunning. The amount of time put into the building designs is especially apparent, and I for one often felt like I was actually on the streets of Arnhem or in the fields of Holland during operation market garden. Bonus points for the variety in the environments, as each level introduces a new type of feeling. Character animations are as good as I've ever seen them, so full points for that.

Gameplay - 8/10
As is common with many FPSs, the controls take a little time to get used to. Once one becomes used to them however, they are quite intuitive and fluid. The one complaint most people have is that there is no auto-aim feature, but once you get used to scoping in on enemies, it becomes second nature. The control scheme is also customizable, so there's really no reason to complain about that. The weapons are perfect. Each gun handles like it was the actual thing. The enemy AI is challenging, although it can become rather predictable and therefore bland on multiple playthroughs. Still, it's enough to keep any new player on their toes, especially on a harder difficulty. On some missions, you will have allies with you, and that's where this game stumbles a little. Their actions are always scripted and/or just plain stupid. It's not incredibly bad, but it can be frustrating. Luckily, you're rarely forced to rely on it. One last drawback; getting a gold star on some levels is seemingly random. The player has to trigger some enemy encounters, but they aren't required, so you have to be extra careful to explore every nook and cranny.

Sound/Music - 10/10
Perfect. Beautiful. Flawless. The sound effects in Frontline ALWAYS fit the situation and actions taken by the player. A surround sound audio option is also available, and the realism is incredible. I actually jumped at some points when I heard bullets rocket by me when I was playing. All the voice acting is very authentic and realistic, and it gives a sense of life to the characters. The music is a step above everything else in this game. It's compelling, moving, powerful and orchestrated like few other games. Half the work put into this game must have been in the music department. It always fits the mood of the mission, and plays out like the best of movie soundtracks. Quite a feat considering this game will take 10-15 hours to beat, and one isn't forced to continue with the story.

Replayability - 5/10
Depending on how you do your first time through, it may be worth playing through again. There are movies you can unlock by getting gold stars on all the missions, so that's a small incentive. There are also cheats, which can make the game more interesting. It's really all preference. You can still get the full experience without beating it 100%.

Buy or rent:
This game should be $20 or less anywhere you get it. It's definitely worth buying, just to pad your library.

Conclusion:
This game fills a much needed gap for a good World War 2 shooter on the PS2. It may not be your cup of tea, but I do believe you won't forget it anytime soon after playing through it.

Overall Score - 9/10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/04/08

Game Release: Medal of Honor Frontline (US, 05/28/02)