Review by BubbaJoe

"A Few Flaws, but Overall a Thrilling War Experience"

Ever since I laid my eyes upon those few screenshots in the April issue of OPM2, I couldn't wait until Medal of Honor Frontline came out. In a maniacal rush to save my money in just a few short weeks, I learned the true value of hard work. I just barely managed to rummage the few dollars I had remaining, and in late May, I found that the game was released early. I desperately gained the last few dollars I needed, and in just a few short weeks I had totalled 50 dollars exactly.

The trip out to buy the game, though, was different. The night before a horrific lightning storm passed through our area, causing a ride in a nearby amusement park to collapse, killing one person. Many, and I do mean many of the stores in our area was closed, but somehow a K-Mart just happened to survive the torture of the storm. I eagerly entered the store, and to my gleeful surprise, I found that they had Medal of Honor Frontline. I bought it with great joy, and quickly returned home to play my new found video game.

The first moments were intense. From storming the dismal beaches of Normandy to battling my way across a stone bridge against the mighty torrent of firepower from a tank, I knew this game was good. Despite a number of few flaws, it has just about exceeded my expectations.

STORY -
8/10

A simple one at most, but filled with numerous twists. You are Lt. Jimmy Patterson, a member of the OSS who engages into numerous 'James Bond' style missions during World War II. The main story's core revolves around the HO/IX, an experimental jet fighter the Nazis were developing during the war. Had the Nazis completed this jet and used it in the war, it may very well have turned the tide for the Germans. Your main goal throughout the game is to find where the plane is and either destroy it or steal it. Along the way, you'll met your classic German nemesis, Sturmgeist. While the first few missions may seem to be just slapped in there, the latter ones are truly an entangled web of intrigue.

AUDIO/GRAPHICS -
6/10 - 9/10

This sucks for me, quite simply. I own a 1998 RCA 8' TV in my room. I'm not saying I'm broke or anything, just that I haven't quite been able to get a better one. So of course, I can't really enjoy the superior audio that this game supposedly has, but I can understand from playing how well it possibly can be. As for the graphics, they are simply stunning. From tracer fire zooming through the air to a German's dying moments, this game truly shows off the PlayStation 2's capacity. Blast a German with a shotgun, and as he lay dying his mouth slowly moves, as if he is uttering his final words. In the game's notorious D-Day level, a spray of tracer bullets shoot through the sky like a crimson light bulb. The one thing I find most enjoyable is the explosions. For some reason, they're just extremely lifelike compared to other games. I don't know why, but they really look. . . fiery.

Gameplay -
7/10

This is one of the things many people have fussed over. The analog controls make it somewhat difficult at first, but for me I completely forgot all about it once I got deep into the game. I've never really played a real FPS on a computer, so in my opinion I think the controls are fair. To turn takes quite a good bit if you're being shot at from behind by a German, but most of the gunshots don't take away too much health, so it shouldn't be that much of a problem. Also, your character sometimes moves just a tad too slow. You may have forgotten to get something earlier in the level, and you'll probably resent the fact you'll have to hike ALL the way back. Another thing people didn't like was the linearity of the game. For me, I hate games that really took place that have cheezy puzzles. Really, if you're in World War II will you face some cleverly-designed Nazi puzzle before you enter a room? I feel the fact this game is linear makes it more enjoyable in a sense. But one thing I do resent is the scripted events. Just about everything in the game other than actually killing guys are scripted. From Allies being shot down by sniper fire to explosions going off in the distance, seemingly EVERYTHING is scripted. Is it really that hard to just have independent actions going on? Besides that, the gameplay is ok, but nothing amazing.

SOUNDTRACK -
10/10

Stunning, simply stunning. I don't recall if I've ever seen such splendid work put into the music of a video game. I don't know about you, but I've always been a fan of the classical-style of music. This game definitely takes that music and delves into it's intricacies in this game. From the roaring blaze of the low brass section to the gentle whisper of a choir melody, this game certainly uses everything to it's advantage. The music also gives you a sense of aura from the terrors of war. The waining orchestral pieces tear at your heart while you watch your Allied comrades being shot down by Germans across the street. The thunderous horn music pulls retribution from you as you slaughter the Germans with your Panzschrecker. Overall, some of the best music I've heard in a video game.

REPLAYABILITY -
6/10

This is where the game failed the most for me. Unless they release some good codes soon, I'm going to be bored with this game for a while. Sure, playing D-Day when you're finished is fun, but many of the other levels just aren't that fun. Many of them are painstakingly tedious. From running around a big manor to find a simple painting to taking a long shortcut around an alley to simply get around a wheelbarrow, this game certainly is not very replayable. The ability to gain medals for getting medals is simply ludicrous, the medals don't even do anything!

OVERALL -
8/10

A good game, with some obvious flaws and such, but nevertheless a truly real World War II experience.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 06/06/02, Updated 06/06/02