Review by Brickside

"Medal of Honor Frontline: Ya that's where I thought I was while playing this game"

Thanks to the movie ''Saving Private Ryan'' we were given the Medal of Honor series. A nice slew of games from what I have heard. I am not personally a huge fan of the series, as I did not enjoy the first one and just left my Medal experience at that. But I am a first-person shooter junkie so I decided to pick up this little gem and give it a go. What I found was one of the most realistic and engrossing games I have ever had the pleasure of playing.

Graphics 9/10

The graphics in this game really push the PS2 hardware(not as much as say Metal Gear Solid 2). Everything looks to have been done really well, from the soldiers to the activity in the background. Even though it doesn't run at 60 frames per second, a hint of slow down never occurs. In fact the game is well paced, even the hectic D-Day level. However, there is a lot (and I do mean a lot) of clipping in this game. I could literally push civilians into walls for crying out loud. In any case, it doesn't take away from the game.

Sound 10/10

The game really shines here. The voices for are all well done and add to the realism while the sounds of planes and tanks so life like. But the music was great. Perfect for each setting, and it really made you feel like you were Jimmy Patterson.

Control 9/10

Excellent all around controls. Everything handles very smoothly, but there was one problem.....with so many men you have to shoot, it's a pain to do it without auto-aim. It's not the easiest thing in the world to aim with those PS2 Joysticks, so an auto-aim function would have been a great addition.

Gameplay 10/10

What can I say. I felt like I was part of World War II. It's rare when you actually feel like the main character in a game, but that ladies and gentlemen is a priceless experience. Bravo, bravo indeed. Especially with those weapons. But a less linear adventure would have been better. Oh well, I didn't mind one bit.

Overall 8/10

I spoke so highly of this game so why did I give it an 8/10 you ask? Well the auto-aim for one, the clipping didn't bother me much, and even a lack of multi-player didn't bother me since I thought it sucked in the first Medal Of Honor to begin with, but the biggest problem I find in this game is a little something called hit detection. That drove me nuts. I could never tell if I was actually hitting an enemy or not. It was like shooting a ghost or something. But overall this is a great game, and I suggest it be bought. It's not perfect (looks like head shots don't apply to everyone in this game), but that's why there are sequels. This game is one of those reasons why you bought a PS2 in the first place.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 06/08/02, Updated 06/08/02