Review by SniperDragon

"Ehhh... An Arcade Type War Game...."

Well, this is first Medal of Honor game I ever played and I have to say, it didn't live up to its expectations. There has been so much hype about how good this game is supposed to be but it turns out it’s just an average arcade type war game.

In Medal of Honor Frontline you play as Lt. Jimmy Patterson. Jimmy Patterson is a member of the OOS who must stop the Nazis from creating and using their top-secret plane the Ho-Ix. If the Nazis are able to use this plane in WWII, it could turn the tide of the war in Germany’s favor.

The gameplay is terrific at times and absolutely horrific at others. The first level, “Your Finest Hour” seems to be the only level that is worth playing. In “Your Finest Hour” you must rescue the other soldiers and take down the gunmen in the towers. The part that makes this level stick out from the others is the teamwork, because you get to work with your fellow soldiers and your captain to take down the Nazis. In the later levels you no longer work in a team, instead you go around by yourself killing the Nazis and completing a few goals to finish the level. Another thing that really bothers me is why there is ammo and health laying all over the place. I’m pretty sure that the Americans weren’t able to find any leftover German medical kits lying on the ground and they also used different guns then the Germans so why would Patterson be able to pick up ammo off the ground and use it? Little details like this really bother me and turn this into more of an arcade war game then a sim war game. The actually firefights were pretty good. You would easily win most of them because of the extra health but they were pretty exciting and intense. One thing wrong with the fights was that it would take too many hits to take down a Nazi. In some of the levels if you’re shooting at a Nazi with a silenced pistol and you hit him in the chest three times, he won’t die. You would at least have to hit him another time if not two more times. Even if you use a stronger gun and do not get a headshot then you would have to hit him again. It gets really annoying knowing that if you don’t get a headshot that he won’t die in one hit. The levels can be long if you take your time making sure you get everything, or they can be quick if you just run through shooting down guys. Most of them are between 15-25 minutes to complete which is pretty good and they usually take you more then one try to beat the level. One bad part about the levels is that there are no checkpoints or anything. So if you’re a few steps away from beating it and you get shot down, (happened to me before) then you have to do the whole level all over again. So there are quite a few problems with the gameplay that really do bring this game down a lot.

The graphics are amazing in this game. The character’s models look very good but the uniforms look even better. The uniforms look exactly how they looked like in the 1940’s. The thing that I really liked was the little American flag sewn on the soldiers arm. You also got to see actual war photos and video clips before some of the missions, so that really makes you feel the war atmosphere. Everything else pretty much looked good but not all the animations looked good. The way the Nazis ran really bothered me. They ran like hunchbacks. Every single one was like that and it got very annoying. The deaths of the Nazis also got repetitive and you could see two Nazis die the exact same way right next to each other. How hard could it have been if EA just took a little bit more time to fix a few of these animations. It really would have made this game a lot better.

The sound is definitely one of the best parts of the game. The voices were done very nicely and very clear but sometimes they follow you around. Like if you’re talking to your captain but walk away you will still hear him loud and clear. It can be good if you want to get a head start on the mission but its not realistic. The sounds of the guns were average. You couldn’t always hear where the gunshots were coming from but you could tell the difference between a pistol and a rifle. The music also added a certain atmosphere that was perfect for the game and made you feel like you were Jimmy Patterson.

Controls: 6/10
I didn't like the controls much at all. You can choose which control setup you want so it isn’t totally bad. You can choose to use the default or the sharpshooter mode. Sharpshooter mode lets you use the left analog stick to move and the right analog stick to aim. The controls did take time to get use to, because they are setup differently then other first person shooters.

Fun factor: 5/10
To me, this game has been very inconsistent. Some of the levels like “Your Finest Hour” were spectacular, but others like “Seaside Stowaway” were very dull. Most of the levels after the first felt very tedious, and really sucked the fun out of the game.

Replay Value: 4/10
When I finished the game I knew I wouldn’t go back and play it over again. The first time going through it made it feel more like a chore then a game. The only level that is worth playing at all is the D-Day level “Your Finest Hour. The lack of multiplayer also really hurts the replay value. I expect every FPS to have at least some sort of two-player action but this one doesn’t.

Rent or Buy: Rent
This game is definitely a rent. It’s a sub-par FPS with quite a few problems. There is only one level worth playing and without multiplayer its not to good of a game. So I seriously suggest that you rent this before you buy. Even if you did like all the other Medal of Honors you should still give this a rent first.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 06/17/03, Updated 06/17/03