Review by Metalguru

"Please, no. I didn't deserve this. Please."

ESPN X-Games Skateboarding is a game that I truly loath. This will be the first game that I will review that I will not give a ten. The sound is less than average because it plays one song (and none of them are even that good)until you go to the start menu and change it yourself. What!? When did we, the player, have to change the song ourself!? It is ridiculous. The controls aren't something to feel good about either. Read on and I will tell you more about this sad story.

Okay, this game does feature ONE cool part. When you ride in the museum, you can grind on the spine of a T-rex. That is about it. There is nothing left in the entire game that can garner some attention. Each and every character in this game has basically the same set of tricks at their disposal. Plus, none of the tricks are even as close to impressive as the Tony Hawk series. Do they want to put emphasis on how nothing can compare to the Tony Hawk series??

Control: 3/10
This game features some the worst controls I have ever played in any game! Were the developers trying to be innovative by featuring different controls or have they just no idea on how to make a playable game? The thing that really felt wrong to me was the fact that you use the shoulder buttons to make your character do a spin in the air. What?? I am truly appaulled by how people can just make people like me sad for their own pleasure.

Some parts aren't that bad but the goodness in them is struck down by the lack of detail and clunky movements. None of the environments are even that good but, if that is the direction that the developers wanted to go than so be it.

Play Time: 4/10
Really short. That is all there is to it. I rented this game one day and beat the next day. Many action sports games like Tony Hawk 2, Coolboarders, and SSX Tricky take some time to beat. Well not this game!

Replay Value: 3/10
Once you beat the game you probably will never touch it again. That is all I have to say.

Challenge: 1/10
Is there a challenge to this game? I certainly think not. Just a rental.

This game features suburban kids making music that has no point and makes me cry with anger. Also, you have to go to the pause menu, and change to a different song youself! Why can't it be like in other games in which it just rolls onto a new song? Why? It makes listening to music a chore.

All I have got to say is that it is a wise thing to do to just avoid this game at all costs. If you are a die-hard skate freak, just rent. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! I thought this game was going to be good when I saw the commercial. Boy, what was I thinking!

Reviewer's Score: 2/10 | Originally Posted: 01/01/03, Updated 01/01/03