Review by FrozenFusion

"If you like simulation games, then you’ll wanna play Crazy Taxi."

Crazy Taxi does a great job of simulating what a taxi driver goes through (in a fun, cartoonish way)…that’s what makes it a great game…

Wow! This game has great graphics. I’ve never played a Dreamcast game before, so I haven’t gotten a chance to experience the graphics (which are great from what I’ve seen). But Crazy Taxi has great graphics. The highlights of the graphics are when you’re selecting a character and right after you select your character (which shows a camera moving around a taxi). I’ve heard that Crazy Taxi has distorted graphics, but that’s never happened to me before…only when I took the game out of the CD drive. Overall, Crazy Taxi’s graphics are great.

The sound’s fine…the game has music from Offspring and Bad Religion (something like that). The game has many different sounds, from the engine of the taxi to angry people. Overall, the sound is great…I don’t really pay attention to the music, mainly because I don’t like rock that much, so if you don’t like rock, you probably won’t really notice the music in the background.

The controls are great…L1 is the brake (and so is L2) and R1 is the accelerator (and so is R2)…Triangle is for the horn, Circle is for the Drive, X is for Reverse, and Square is for a hint of where you need to go. The passenger will tell you which direction to go in and the hint box will show a picture of the place your passenger wants to go to and the amount of yards away you are from your destination. The game has two modes: Arcade and Original; they are both different cities. Both give you options for the Arcade mode, three minutes, five minutes, and ten minutes. When you run out of time, you get a license determining how good you did. S is the best, while No License is the worst (E is the worst letter). Every thousand points boosts your grade up by one letter. If you get 20,000 points, you get the Crazy License, which is the best. I have tried to get the Crazy License, but it seems impossible, mainly because I don’t know how to do the maneuvers. It is very easy to earn an A or S license. The game also has maneuvers, such as the Crazy Drift. I’ve had the game for three days, and I still can’t really do any maneuvers besides a rocket boost. The instruction booklet provides instructions on how to do the crazy maneuvers. The game also has a Crazy Box mode, which is basically a training mode that helps you to enhance your skills in the game. Once you complete the Crazy Box mode, you earn a special vehicle, which is similar to a Chinese…um…pull kart. The game lacks an option for customizing controls, which is no big deal, since the controls are already great. Overall, the controls are great.

Overall: 8/10 (averaged, the score is 8.7, but I think the game deserves an 8)

Overall, this is a great, unique game. The game rules, and it’s…um…fun. I would recommend renting the game and not buying it…I bought it and I don’t regret it, but it does get boring pretty quickly. Once you learn how to do the maneuvers, then the game starts getting boring. So go to your local Blockbuster or whatever store(s) you rent games from and rent Crazy Taxi before anyone else does.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 06/25/01, Updated 07/16/01