Review by p1r4t8r

"An excellent and original game"

Crazy Taxi is one of the first games to be ported from the Sega Dreamcast. The port is done by acclaim, and having never played the DC version or even the arcade version I cannot comment on whether its a good game compared to those 2 versions. What i can say is that's its a must have PS2 game.
The whole concept of Crazy Taxi is amusing. You pick up a passenger, then get them to their location as quickly as possible before the time runs out. You can get them there by any means, which include weaving though traffic at high speeds, driving underwater, and taking shortcuts along the footpath and through shopping malls. The passenger will give you tips for all the crazy manuevoures you pull off, some of these moves are
Crazy Through: Weave through traffic at high speeds
Crazy Dash: Sudden speed boost launches you to top speed instantly
Crazy powerslide: speaks for itself.
Flying through the air: the more hangtime the more money.
Driving on two wheels: Longer you drive the more money
They will insult you when you make mistakes, such as hitting other cars, or getting to the location late.
All the passengers are colour coded, and you can tell which ones are hard and which ones are easier.
This game has one of the greatest uses of product placement ever (for those of you who don't know product placement is like advertising). Your passengers will want to go to such locations as KFC, Pizza Hut, Fila store, Levis and so on. Unlike some other games (JET MOTO 3 I think) the advertising does not look out of place, and actually hightens the atmosphere. The graphics in Crazy Taxi are average. They look good compared to many games on the market, but CT suffers from popup, where objects appear ought of nowhere, although it's not too bad. There is one issue I have with the phantom Semi trailers, why do they only appear on the highway and no where else? Where do they go?
The music in this game is one of the best soundtracks ive heard in a game yet, second only to Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 & 2. There are tunes by bad religeon and Offspring, and they are very cool to drive around to. The voice acting is not meant to be serious and for that reason it is very funny.
Crazy Taxi has three play modes,
Arcade: apparently an updated and larger version of Original (though i cant tell the difference)
Original: the version in the arcades and dreamcast
Crazy Box: Perform different tricks to test your skills
They are all entertaining, but they are all shortlived, and being an arcade game the thrill of it soon wears off, and you may not play this game often. I have one very large problem with CT and that is that the steering is over sensitive. There is no option to turn it down, and it makes weaving between two moving Semi Trailers very hard. Otherwise CT is bucket loads of fun, and one of the better games on PS2.

Graphics: 8 They serve their purpose, but considering the power of the PS2 over the DC they could have gotten rid of a lot of the problems with popup that the DC version suffered.

Sound: 10 An excellent sound track, and funny voice acting to top it off.

Gameplay: 9 Simple yet entertaining. The first time I played it I couldn't stop laughing, which is rare in a game. The only problem stopping this getting a ten is that the steering was too sensative for me. Maybe other people like it this way, still there should be an option.

Replayability: 7 After a while it'll wear thin and you'll stop playing it, but until then its heaps of fun, and you'll probable pull it out every now and then for a quick spin.

Rent or Buy? Buy. Unless you own the DC version or hated the game in the arcades. It may be shortlived fun, but it's fun all the same.
Overall: 9 If the game was longer, and had the option to turn down the sensitivity, then it would get an easy ten. I only hope that they make a Crazy Taxi 2 for PS2 (i know there's a DC version) and include a two player mode, as that would be heaps of fun.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/09/01, Updated 07/12/02