Review by Cory Wilkie

"Cory's Crazy Taxi Review"

Crazy Taxi had first come out on the Sega Dreamcast and became an instant hit. The PS2 version of the game is an exact port from the Dreamcast so there is nothing new to see. You pretty much pick up a passenger, drop off, make some money and pick up a new one before your time runs out.

Gameplay 5/10
The Crazy Taxi the gameplay isn’t as good as it may seem. The control in the game is well… bad. It doesn’t feel like your driving a real car but more like pointing something where to go. I guess you would call this type of handling ‘arcade style handling’. When you hit or bump into things it is all very unrealistic. You pretty much are in an indestructible taxi that plows through or stumbles over obstacles. There is one fairly large city that resembles San Francisco to drive around in. There are two starting points to start at when you start driving. The starting point depends on what game mode you are in. There is Arcade mode and Original mode which are very similar. One of the things I like about this game is the third game mode called Crazy Box. In here the game will give you challenges to complete in a certain amount of time or some other feat. For example you might have to make a jump so many meters or knock over so many things.

Story
For those of you wondering there isn’t a storyline to Crazy Taxi. You pretty much are just a taxi drive out to make some quick cash.

Graphics 7/10
In Crazy Taxi the graphics are average, nothing is really good and nothing is really bad. Everything has some pretty bland textures. The scenery is mostly pre-rendered, and anything that isn’t pre-rendered has very little detail. Mostly everything has jaggies.

Sound 7/10
In Crazy Taxi the sounds are actually mediocre. The nice part about them is the voice acting between the driver and the passenger. Some of the phrases that they say are pretty funny. I like it how when you are going slowly or hitting lots of cars the passenger will start getting angry at you or if you are going very fast and gaining lots of time the passenger will start cheering for you. The downside to the sounds is the car sounds or the lack of car sounds. You can pretty much only hear a rev of the engine, a squeal of the tires and a slam of the breaks. When you run into obstacles it doesn’t sound very good either.

Music 8/10
In Crazy Taxi there are about a dozen songs from the bands Offspring and Bad Religion. The music goes great with the game and I personally liked it. After a while these few songs get repetitive and sickening. Though if you don’t like the music in the game I am afraid you are out of luck because that is all there is to listen to in the game.

Play Time/Replayability 5/10
To finish this game on Arcade mode it takes about fifteen minutes. That’s all. To unlock everything in this game and beat the game with all four characters it might take about five hours. It would depend on how much trouble you are having with it. There is a high score table in this game, this means you can pretty much beat your own scores or you could have a small competition with your friends.

Final Recommendation
I would recommend people to rent Crazy Taxi before buying it just to make sure it is their kind of game. I would advise this to anyone who likes arcade style racing or if you have a fetish with taxies.

I Wish
I wish there were more cities to drive around in, larger differences between the cab drivers than there already is, more things to do in the Crazy Box, and more variety of music.

Average Score 6.4/10