Review by wolverinefan

"Rockstar drops the ball"

Story
In the future, a company has taken control of the world. Riots break out and you're one of the people who hate this company and you join ranks with some "boss" and he gives you orders. There isn't much of a story and while that worked for Grand Theft Auto 3 (same company made both games), it doesn't work for this game. There is no real point to the missions and you have no real control over what you do. The characters aren't even interesting. I give story a 2/10

Control
The control is decent but fighting is hard when the game auto targets a guy when you NEED to be attacking someone else. The camera is also a huge problem in the game. I had a horrible time trying to get a half way decent angle during some scenes but had to give up and just get to the place I was going to from a different path. I give control a 7/10

Voice Acting, Sound Effects and Music
The voice acting is horrible and the small clips of voices are used over and over and just get on your nerves. The sound effects are pretty basic with screams, breaking glass and the different sounds of the guns. The music is very forgettable, heck I just played the game for two hours straight five minutes ago and I can't even remember it. I give voice acting, sound effects and music a 4/10

Game play
The game is a whole lot of fun, for about 30 minutes. After that you just want to go to the next stage which takes for ever to happen. There are 175 missions to do and most of them have you either getting something from point A and taking it to point B or you have to guard something or someone from being killed. The biggest problem with missions is you have NO choice over which missions to do. You always have to do the missions in order, which is annoying when you fail the mission over and over. The game does make itself a little easier if you suck at a certain mission but they can still be really hard. There are about 5 or 6 different people and each one has different colors but they all look alike. There isn't a lot of weapons to use and while you can pick up items and throw them, the items pretty much suck. The game gets really annoying when you have bombers running at someone you have to guard and your weapon suddenly disappears out of your hand! There is only 4 areas but I doubt most people will make it past the first area cause it takes forever to finish all the missions. I give game play a 4/10

Replay Value
The game takes a long time to beat but it gets so boring after a very short period of play time. Chaos mode is fun but gets old after 30 minutes since it's nothing but mindless action. There isn't a whole lot of secrets either. I give replay value a 3/10

Final Score
I give State Of Emergency a 4/10

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 10/12/07

Game Release: State of Emergency (US, 02/12/02)