Review by wolverinefan

"Square and Disney - the perfect match"

Story
Sora, Kairi and Riku are best friends and they dream of leaving the island that they live on and to explore other worlds. The night before they leave the Heartless come and sends each of them to different places. Sora teams up with Donald and Goofy who are looking for their king. They set out to find Kairi and Riku and to find King Mickey. While the story isn't 100% original the storyline is really good near the end and there are a few plot twists. I give story a 9/10

Control
For the most part, control is great. All you basically need to do is move around with the left anolog stick and hit X as much and as fast as you can. The biggest problem with control is using items and magic during battle. It's very hard to fight and scroll through a menu all at once. You can assign spells to buttons for quick access but if you get hit while casting the spell it doesn't always work. Overall the control is good but has a few flaws. I give control a 8/10

Voice Acting, Sound Effects and Music
Squaresoft went the extra mile and got Hollywood actors to do the voices in Kingdom Hearts. Billy Zane, lance Bass and Mandy Moore are just a few of the actors who lend their voices to the game. The actors who do the voices for Sora, Riku and Kairi are great. Some of the actors even come back to do the voices of the roles they did in the Disney movies. The sound effects are pretty good but nothing great. The music is awesome, you get classic Disney tunes minus ther words, you get some very nice original music and you also get the best theme song ever, "Simple and Clean". I really loved the music in this game and the theme song is just great and fits the game very well. I give voice acting, sound effects and music a 10/10

Game play
Fans of the Secret of Mana series will feel right at home with the game play. Battles aren't random and they don't load up, they are all in real time. While there are three people in your party, you only control Sora but you can adjust the other characters and make it so they use attacks more than magic or that they only use potions when it's needed. Battles really only have you hitting X as fast as you can but some of the bosses have weaknesses that need to be worked on before you can hurt them. Casting magic is a little heard but after a few hours you should have the hang of using the spell shortcuts during battle. The worlds are nice and it really does feel like you've entered the Disney World. The AI in the game isn't he greatest but the game is still hard. I believe this is one of the hardest games to come out in a long time. The biggest flaw in the game is the camera, I really didn't have any problems with it until the end of the game but it wasn't too big of a problem. When you travel to different worlds you fly a Gummi ship, it looks really crappy but it's a mindlss shooter that's kinda fun. You can build your own Gummi ship using parts that you find but it's so complex that I never figured it out. I give game play a 9/10

Replay Value
There is a lot of stuff to do in this game. There are secret bosses that are insanely hard, finding 99 puppies, finding all the summons, finding all the postcards, finding all trinity marks and the list goes on. I beat the game in under 25 hours with most of the secrets found BUT I played the game on normal and I chose to play with the fastest leveling up setting, so if you play on the hardest setting with slow leveling up it could take you a really long time to beat the game. I give replay value a 7/10

Final Score
I give Kingdom Hearts a 9/10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/10/07

Game Release: Kingdom Hearts (US, 09/16/02)