Review by radred2004

"The #1 Gaming Equation: Disney + Squaresoft = Success"

Kingdom Hearts remains a great PS2 classic today, and will continue to be in the days to come. Not only does it appeal to an older audience with Final Fantasy characters, and to a younger audience with Disney characters, it has a story with a great meaning. The equation of Final Fantasy and Disney is one of the strangest yet best ever seen in the videogame industry, and it has so far been successful. This game can simply find a way to appeal to all ages.

Possibly the best aspect to the game is the story. Sora, the main character lives on an island separated from other “worlds” called Destiny Island. Sora, and his friends Riku and Kairi plan to leave this world to discover new worlds. However, the Heartless (the enemies of the game, created by people arguing and fighting, or creating evil) start to take over Destiny Island and Sora winds up lost in a new world, separated from his friends. Later, Sora meets up with two of Disney's characters, Donald and Goofy. Together, with King Mickey's command, these characters travel through various worlds (many which are familiar from Disney movies) in order to stop the Heartless and lock the worlds from the Heartless so peace can once again exist. Not only is it an RPG, you must ride the gummi ship and shoot down enemies with it between the different worlds to reach them (adding that bit of shooting element in between almost every level). Better yet, you can edit the gummi ship any way you please later on. Absolutely a classic story, not only is it a fun story, it mixes different worlds together and almost has a sort of hidden “ethical” background within in it. It is an awesome RPG story with upgraded weapons throughout it, abilities for characters, and character level-ups. One thing I like is seeing different Disney characters within their own worlds (as well as Disney bosses and new bosses). Truly amazing.

For it's time the graphics were absolutely amazing. The island was one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen on a videogame. Not just the island, from the jungles of Tarzan to the End of the World, there are plenty of beautiful places to visit. This game just keeps on finding ways to amaze its audience.

Music: 10/10
Honestly, there is just one song that can absolutely give this game a 10/10 for music. There is nothing better than kicking back and relaxing to the opening video (which has awesome graphics by the way) with the song “Simple and Clean”. Other songs are simply good throughout the worlds, but obviously, this one song tips the game off the chart for music. If you want good music within a game, listen to the opening video, and I'm sure you may just be amazed. But honestly, I can't complain about much of any of the music in this game.

Replayability: 8/10
This game is not as fun when you beat it, however it takes awhile to get that far and there still is things to be done. After you beat the game, you can challenge tournaments in the Olympus Coliseum like Sephiroth (which is a very, very, very tough boss that may keep you training until you beat him) or the Ice Titan. Also, there are items needed to get the Ultima Weapon and other weapons (it's not easy to get them either), as well as other bosses throughout a couple of worlds. You can also get to level 100 for fun and bragging rights if you please. However, other than this, after you beat this masterpiece, there isn't a huge amount left to do.

No doubt this game gets a 10/10. The story was strong throughout the whole game, and there was plenty of action. Like I mentioned before, this game has a sort of “ethical” background if you look deeper into it (but it's only there if you notice it) concerning the Heartless and their actions, and it gives the game a lot of meaning in my opinion. You don't see that in many videogames. Another thing about this game is that you control the fighting; it's not turn-based, yet it is an RPG. This makes it sort of like an action game as well as an RPG. I recommend this game to anyone who likes RPGs, Disney, or honestly anybody. Not everyone may like it, but I think it has deserved it's 10/10, and everyone should at least rent it and try it. However, I'd just go and buy it. This is a great masterpiece, and will be for many years to come. This is where it all started, and it started out great. This game deserves a 10/10 without a doubt.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 02/04/08

Game Release: Kingdom Hearts (Greatest Hits) (US, 12/31/04)