Review by Poliwhirl811

"Wonderful game with a brilliant idea, though frustrating at times."

Kingdom Hearts. At first the idea of Disney meshing with Square-Enix sounded as odd as Barbie and Optimus Prime. (Don't ask. You really don't want to know.) Yet, a great new game was born. Anyway, enough of that. Let's start the review.

It should be noted that I am only reviewing the first Kingdom Hearts video game, and Not Chain of Memories, Kingdom Hearts II, or any future installments in this article.

-Story- 9
A boy and his friends live on a peaceful island, but the friends yearn to get off. The whole invasion, Donald and Goofy, the Heartless. The story is very good, and seems like it could fit a movie. The writer is definitely very smart to gave come up with some of these brilliant lines. I have heard more compelling stories, however, which brings the score to a 9.

-Control- 6
While I praise the four-panel idea, it can be ,at times, a bit gruesome. Especially if you want to use a move on the bottom panel like Ars Arcanum or Strike Raid, or magic that you can't get to easily. Another problem with the controls is the camera. Because Chernabog's wing was blocking the screen, I could not see when he lurched down to do his deadly inferno attack.

-Graphics-10
The graphics in this game were ahead of its time, and suited the Final Fantasy Characters really well. What really gave it the 10 points it deserves was the transition of 2D to 3D for the Disney characters.

-Sound- 9
The music really represented the worlds very well. I think I even heard, "Under The Sea" outside of King Triton's palace in Atlantica! Another thing that really blew me away were the voiceovers. I'm elated they got the original Disney voice actors to grace their voices for this game.

-Gameplay-6
The Bosses were very fun to fight for the most part. It was just that some were too hard, and very frustrating. Another thing that really didn't care for was all of the exploring. They made me go retrieve pointless things here, made me jump to a certain area here. It was very tiring and not all that rewarding. Another thing I hated were the heartless encounters. You couldn't walk two steps without getting ambushed.

OVERALL: A very good game, but the gameplay and camera had a bit to be desired. The actual storytelling elements were Phenomenal, giving this game a 9.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 08/22/08

Game Release: Kingdom Hearts (US, 09/16/02)