Review by Gnrl_Seanrogie

"I really love this game. It doesn't deserve a lot of the hate it gets."

I think Kingdom Hearts is a really fun game. I still play it every now and then 7 years after it came out, and I still find it fun! A lot of people I know hate the game for stupid reasons, such as "Why is his sword a key? This game is so stupid." and "Disney characters? This game is for little kids I won't play it.” You're kind of ignorant if you let small things like that keep you from a great game in my opinion. Anyway, the review...

Graphics- I'm writing this review in 2009, this game came out in 2002. Comparing it to more recent game graphics wouldn't be fair. At the time this came out this came looked fantastic. I hadn't seen such good graphics before. Most things are very detailed and some of the scenes just look fantastic. Overall I give the graphics a 9/10

Music/Sound- The music isn't bad, but it's not really amazing. The music fits every scene perfectly, and you'll hear different music depending on what world you go to. In this game you're going to visit many places over and over, so it kind of gets repetitive. I guess that had to happen in a game which requires so much playing time though. Music gets an 8/10, in my opinion.

Game play/Controls- This is what I love the most about this game. The controls are really fun and easy. You would think "Jump, slash slash slash, jump, and magic" would get repetitive, but it really doesn't. Not to me, at least. There are a lot of different enemies to fight, each using different attacks. I give game play a 10/10; I think it's why I still play this game.

Story- People are going to hate this story, or love it. No in-between. I polled 8 of my friends who beat Kingdom Hearts, and 7 of them liked the story and game overall. Still, one person didn't, so this game might not be for everyone. There are a lot of cut scenes, which you really should watch, because the game makes no sense without them. If you're not patient enough to wait a minute or two and watch a scene, this game isn't for you.

Anyway, short story summary while trying not to spoil anything big: You're a 14 year old boy named Sora, traveling around Disney worlds defeating evil monsters called the Heartless and trying to find your missing friends at the same time. Kind of basic, but it's a good story. I can't really give the story a rating. I would give it a high rating, but this will be the one point of the game many people could just really hate. And I'm not willing to rate the story a 5/10 or anything, because I feel it's better than that.

Overall- Kingdom Hearts is a really fun game which I recommend to anybody that doesn't have a problem with Disney. It's an all around solid game, and easily worth a buy.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/10/09

Game Release: Kingdom Hearts (Greatest Hits) (US, 12/31/04)