Review by Cymery

"A game I love"

Kingdom Hearts came out in 2002. Most people weren't sure what to think about it. Disney and Final Fantasy characters in a game together it was a strange concept. To be honest it was never about the Final Fantasy characters that drew me to the game. It was the Disney concept of the game that made me pick up the game. In spite of this odd combination the game came out fantastic and well worth the effort.

The graphics are clearly dated now but at the time it was very well done. The environment is well developed and the colors are bright. The drawings aren't realistic and are on the whole pretty cartoony. This isn't a bad thing however as some of the worlds in the game would look very odd if a realistic approach had been taken. One such example would be the 100 Acre Woods.

The sound is great. Water sloshes and splashes and the wind blows throw limbs making swishing sounds. The music is well written and a few soundtracks have since found there way onto my mp3 player. The theme song suits the game very well and I can't recall a tune in the game that was out of place.

The characters respond very well to the controls. The interactions with the environments are well done and some are pretty interesting. Battles are pretty fast and frequent but rarely rewarding, however the battle system is easy to get into.

Storyline: 10/10
The story is about 14 year old Sora who wants to see other worlds and so with his two friends Riku and Kairi decide to try to leave the island the live on. The night before they were going to leave the island the world they live in is attacked and devoured by monsters names Heartless. Sora gets swallowed by darkness and ends up in another world but separated from Riku and Kairi. After getting his bearings he runs into Donald Duck and Goofy who are looking for Mickey. Things happen and Sora decides to travel with Donald and Goofy in the hopes of finding Riku and Kairi.

The game is great in many different ways. It has a lot of recognizable characters and uses Disney movie locations as game worlds. This isn't a bad thing at all as it is unlikely that the Disney characters would be able to survive the Final Fantasy worlds. The only bad thing is that the game has no real replayability to it. Other then that issue its a game I love.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/20/09

Game Release: Kingdom Hearts (US, 09/16/02)