Review by redbuck

"I Was Skeptical... I Made a Mistake."

You're wondering what the mistake was, right? I gave it a decent score, so what the heck could've gone wrong? Well, let's see about that.

I believe I'll make the first section graphics. By today's standards, they're not so great, but that's only to be expected. I still think they're actually pretty good, but not exactly great. Hair doesn't have ridiculous detail, but who cares, right? As you may have expected, it's fairly cartoonish, but that's not a bad thing, because some games aren't right without cartoonish graphics. Some games are just made to be cartoon-like.

The sound isn't too bad either. Normally I'd never believe that a big skeleton key could slash someone/something, but this really makes me believe it. Having Disney's name on it, don't expect blood, but other than that, there's definitely enough slashy sounds to make the fights seem as real as possible for a video game. The quality's pretty good, especially the voices. They're very clear and easy to understand. Oh, but the music is just mood setting. Ever heard of Utada Hikaru? NO?! Well..., I didn't either until I played this game, but she's a good singer. It's not my style by a longshot, but for a video game like this, the music definitely makes it worthwhile to listen to. It's been a while since I played this game, so I don't exactly remember, but I believe there are a few older Disney tracks in there, too.

How 'bout that story, huh? The main character, Sora (random fact: Sora means 'sky' in Japanese), his friends Kairi and Riku, and a few Final Fantasy characters live on this island out in the middle of nowhere. This might seem like a bad thing, but it's very peaceful and enjoyable. Well, I guess there is one problem. Sora's bored with the island life. He wants adventure. He wants excitement. Well..., he most definitely got it. Some freaky looking things called the Heartless swarm the island in the middle of the night with an even crazier black cloud. This is where the story gets good. Sora finds out he's to master the Keyblade, which is the main weapon of the game, and save his friends because he has no clue what the heck happened to them. It's a little cliché, but the way it's told is phenominal. Don't go expecting a big huge mind-numbing plot, but simply a really enjoyable one instead

The gameplay is fairly simple, but also fairly enjoyable. There are four options during combat. You can use a regular melee attack, a magic attack, an item, and one that's USUALLY just a question mark. It's similar to the Final Fantasy series as far as inputting commands goes, but you can run around and all that too, so it makes it a little more exciting if you're not into the whole strategy thing. There's a little platforming involved, a little ship-flying when going from world to world aka disney movie to disney movie, some customization, and so on. Mind you, just because it's simple doesn't mean it's easy. Confused? Let me explain. It's simple to use, but the game itself isn't exactly easy. There are also a few collectables in the game that make it a little more interesting. Remember ALL THOSE PUPPIES from 101 Dalmations? They're here, they're lost, and you have to find them. Well, you don't have to, but it's a pretty nice side-quest type thing.

Overall, I have to say this is a very good game. Still wondering about the mistake I made? That's easy: I didn't think this would be good because it had the Disney characters in it, and I thought it would be a little kiddie game. I don't mind a kiddie concept, but kiddie gameplay is bad in my book. This is NOT the case however, and should not be seen as a kiddie game. Just remember, this also has Final Fantasy characters in it if you need that little bit more of a push to get goin'. I'd say buy it, but you can rent it, borrow it, or whatever. I think it's definitely worth a purchase, but that's just me. YOU decide what goes in YOUR game collection.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/24/10

Game Release: Kingdom Hearts (US, 09/16/02)