Review by Sacklome

"The best game I have ever played . . ."

Kingdom Hearts is my favourite game in the series, hell it's my favourite game in general! It was such an amazing start to such a great series! I first played many years ago and was blown away by it, I recently replayed it and now love it even more. It is an amazing blend of Disney and Final Fantasy and it works so well.

Aesthetics:
This game is beautiful, the Disney worlds translate so well into 3d with it's graphic style. The atmosphere of each world is just perfect, but two that really stood out for me would be Hollow Bastion and the final world. 9.5/10

Gameplay:
The battle system isn't it's strongest point. You'll just reserve most of your mp for Cure and use the basic abilities (Attack, Dodge, Block, Jump.) Some of the bosses are really fun though and it rewards you for blocking by giving you experience each time you do it successfully. Where the gameplay truly shines is in how interactive each world is; in Wonderland you cast spells or use items on flowers and they can change your size or reward you with Munny, Mp or Hp, in Atlantica you cast spells to open clam shells, revealing various rewards, and much more. There is a lot of optional content, you can fight optional bosses at the Colliseum or you can collect 99 dalmations or you can search for trinity symbols to unlock chests and various other things. There are two optional worlds: 100 Acre Wood and Atlantica. In the 100 Acre Wood you can play a variety of minigames, each part of this world is found in this various other worlds as "pages" which you collect and put in the book you use to transport yourself to this place. There are some flaws all thought they aren't major, the lack of a skip-cutscene option and there is no Easy Mode. 8.5/10

Sound:
The music in the Kingdom Hearts series is beautiful, and a huge part of what makes it so good. All though it can sometimes get repetitive if you spend too much time in one area. 9/10

Story:
The story is the best part of Kingdom Hearts, it's simple but it works. 3 children on an island dreaming of travelling to other worlds when a storm hits, separating them and letting fate decide what comes next. . After the storm the protagonist - Sora - awakes in a different world, alone. Later he meets Donald and Goofy who become his companions and help him on his journey to find his friends, and in return Sora fights of mysterious creatures called the "Heartless" and unlocks "keyholes" in worlds to stop more from coming. The Disney worlds are for the most part filler so it's not perfect, but overall it is an amazing tale of friendship and betrayal. 9.5/10

Aesthetics: 9.5
Gameplay: 8.5
Sound: 9
Story: 9.5
Overall Score: 9.5 (Rounded up to 10)

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/05/11

Game Release: Kingdom Hearts (US, 09/16/02)