Review by Squared Soft

"One of the best games I've ever played!"

Well of all things in the gaming world, who would have thought Square and Disney could come together and make a game this good?!

Well, it happened. Kingdom Hearts is a gem that will be cherished as one of the biggest games ever! Read why.

If it's a truckload of characters you're looking for, KH delivers. Square even went as far as to include previous Final Fantasy characters including Cloud, Aeris, Cid, Wakka, Tidues, Yuffie, and more! Disney too included an all-star line up of characters including Mickey, Donald Duck, Goofy, Minnie, Chip n' Dale, and even the Dalmations make an appearance! Definitely lots of interaction here folks.

Moving on to the technical aspects, the graphics are drop dead gorgeous, almost passing dare I say, Final Fantasy X! Square also managed to pull off a few camera tricks like background blurring, etc. that make the game look more sweet. Character models too are done up to look very cartoonish and friendly (except for those darn Heartless!)

Sound too is simply amazing. A lot of Disney music is redone and mixed with the wonderful music we've come to love from Square. Good stuff. With music comes voice acting and KH doesn't drop the ball there, either. The Japanese version amazed me. Instead of the Disney characters speaking the typical English language, they speak Japanese. It's a different take, I'll tell you that. The English version is said to feature some big names, including Haley Joel Osment! There's no B-movie stuff here, folks!

The gameplay should speak for itself. Anyone who's anyone has played a Zelda or Final Fantasy before, so the game should come pretty fast to most of you. Battling is not the typical turn-based stuff we're used to. Well, it's more just running around the enemy and hittin' 'em. And on the topic of battles, fans will be pleased to know that there are no random fights to be found. Instead, enemies kind of just rise up and appear; you can avoid these if you run! The story is very well written in the typical Square vein. Go after the Heartless to get your friend back.

That just about sums up all I have to say about this game right now. But definitely buy this game. I bought the import version and plan to buy the US version this Fall.

Graphics - 9/10
The graphics are simply amazing! Character models act and move in a typical cartoon fashion. Those darn ''jaggies'' can still be noticed, though.

Sound - 10/10
All of the sound effects are great and the Disney/Square music remixes sound really cool!

Gameplay - 10/10
Excellent, definitely one of this years greatest games. It'll go down in history. I can't wait to see what else these two companies have in store!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/23/02, Updated 06/23/02