Review by BackFromHell

"Tony Hawk meets Sonic Adventure"

My younger brother bought this game a couple weeks ago, and I've found a good game that it seems many people have passed over. It feels alot like the Tony Hawk Pro Skater games, but with a futuristic feel. Read on...

I love this game. You fly around on this hover board thing and complete missions that tie into the game's story. Did I say story? Yes, this game has a story. It's an OK story, at that, but it's still a story.
Like Tony Hawk, you fly around levels completing different missions. In this one, missions are sent to you by your leader, who's object is to overthrow this evil corporation. You will have to kill opponents by flying into them, spin off of poles to destroy buildings, and sometimes even grind cars to make them explode.
This game takes the mission style of gaming from Tony Hawk, adds some new things to the formula (like boosting, spinning off of bars to fly high onto buildings), and throws the fast-paced gameplay of the Sonic Adventure series in. The gameplay is excellent, but this game is a little long and it gets stale.

The graphics are standard 3-D models and I'm pretty sure the backgrounds are pre-rendered. The animation is full and smooth, and everything is nice and glossy. It's not ground-breaking, but it's good and that's all that matters. The landscapes in this game are beautiful, ranging from downtown/metro areas, to underground caves and factories. They're much more diverse than any sports game. Everything feels futuristic, like it should.

This is one of the better aspects of the game. There's many fitting rap/rock songs on here as there is in the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series. They all sound good and are very expected of a game like this. The other game sounds (hitting walls, grinding) all sound great and realistic. The in-game dialogue was greatly recorded and it sounds crisp and on-target. Overall, the sound is great.

Replayability: 6/10
This game is fun on story mode, and the multiplayer is great. This is one of the better multiplayer games I've played, due to it's various modes and what-not. The story mode isn't very replayable unless you really like games like this (ex: SSX Tricky, Tony Hawk).

Buy or Rent: Rent
This game is definitely not for everyone. It seems like it has an acquired taste, especially with the bad reviews it's gotten. You don't want to lose money, so rent first.

This game is enjoyable, has good multiplayer, good graphics, and wonderful sound, but it seems like you need a certain taste for games like this.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 10/14/03