Review by Dark Shadow X

"...Timesplitters 2 or Red Faction 2? After playing this, there isn't really any question left."

This game is the best FPS for the PS2, if not the best FPS EVER, on any console.

Beautiful. All the characters look stunning, albeit weird (but that's just because of HOW they look, not HOW GOOD they look). The guns are amazing, the explosions are great, the levels are huge and everything looks perfect.

The music, while not as good as the first one, is still top-notch, very good. The sound effects for the guns are perfect, with the bullets hitting the walls (and your enemies) sounding just right.

The first Timesplitters had no story really at all. The second one, however, has plenty of story to sink your teeth into. And with the animated cutscenes, it really brings each level to life. No more of this ''run through the level, get the object, then run back and escape''. This game has more objectives, huger levels, and one helluva ride to play through.

Ah, where do I begin? The game is so huge, I don't know where to start.

First off, the weapons have greatly improved. Now there's weapons varying from a crossbow to a flamethrower to a dual pistols. All of them are unique, all of them are cool, and all of them will help you against your brilliant A.I. enemies.

The levels, in story mode and arcade, are HUGE. Twice, if not three times the size of before. In the arcade mode, there's tons of new things. Each bot has it's own personality (but you can turn that off so they're all equal and you can customize them). There are power-ups to collect, turrets to find and use to shoot at enemies.

And then, finally, the Map Maker. Not only does it have every feature of the first one and more, but the biggest-and quite possibly one of the best aspects of the game-is to create your own levels. No maps for arcade, though you can do that too-I mean story mode levels. Using the simple system, you can place objects, up to ten enemies (each with their own paths you can customize), as well as place guns, auto-turrets, crates, and more. You can also get more complex, and throw in switches, multiple objectives, and so on. This feature is just wonderful, boosting the replay value by a lot.

Buy or Rent?: Buy. Even if you don't have anyone that comes over, buy it. I've completed about half of story mode, and some of the challenge mode, and I've only completed about 10% of it. This game is frickin' huge. All hail the mighty Timesplitters 2, for it shall remain king of the FPS!

...That is, unless the Timesplitters will return...

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 10/13/02, Updated 10/13/02