Review by silent hillian

"Stop reading this review and buy TimeSplitters 2"

What does one think of when the letters ''FPS'' are uttered? Halo? Perfect Dark? Goldeneye? This may have been true in the past, but no more. There is a new first person shooter to go above and beyond any that we have thus far. Time Splitters 2 takes everything we know and love about first person shooters, and takes them to another level.

Let's take a look at what makes this game masterpiece that it is.

Sound/Music: 10/10

Excellent, for lack of a better word. All of the guns sounds are crisp and realistic. The voice-acting is also very nice. And the music, or the music! For each different level, they time period-appropriate songs. During the 1920's in Chicago, there is swing music, and for the futuristic Planet X, the techno music they play is good that I literally got up and started dancing. Not a thing wrong here.

Very crisp and very clear. There are no pop-up or ''jaggie'' problems. All of the characters look phenomenal, even if they are somewhat cartoony. Everything runs at an immaculate 60 FPS (frames per second, not first person shooter. Somebody needs to change that acronym.) A cool thing is while on fire (well, that's not cool, but wait, it gets better) the screen becomes bordered in fire, and your vision blurs slightly. All other explosions and whathaveyou are second to none.

The main story throughout the whole game is to retrieve the time crystals that were stolen by evil aliens are scattered throughout the past and future. However, in each world and time period, there is an individual storyline. For example, there are organized crimes issues in Chicago and an U.F.O. cover-up on Planet X. I was very intrigued by each storyline, and each made me want to play the game more.

That's right, an eleven. The gameplay and replay value for TimeSplitters 2 is unspeakably good. Now, I'm sure some people will complain that Halo's and Perfect Dark's is better, but....no.

Let's start with the single player. The missions are excellent. Very creative, and challenging yet fun. And, adding to the replay value, each mission comes with three different difficulties, and each harder difficulty contains more objectives, allowing you to play longer and delve further into the story. There are also challenge modes where you are given a certain number of weapons (sometimes zero) and you need to accomplish a certain task, be it sneak stealthily into a dam or fend off hundreds of flaming zombies. The better you do, the more cheats/characters you unlock. The arcade league is very similar in that you play in certain modes (i.e. Deathmatch) to unlock characters/cheats/levels/modes. You can also play a custom game, where you choose the level, weapons, time limit, kill limit, music and bots.

Now, my favorite aspect: the multi-player. I can say without doubt that the multi-player for TimeSplitters 2 is better than Halo and Perfect Dark. Much like Perfect Dark, there are bots to face off against, and many of the guns have some pretty cool second functions. Like Halo, it looks and plays like a dream. TimeSplitters 2 takes the best of the aforementioned, and combines them into one superb multi-player experience. Like in single player, you can customize your own game, and face off against up to 16 other players (with an i-link.) Or you can just have a couple friends and 6 other bots. The possibilities, and replay value, are endless.

Another cool feature is the Map Editor. That's right, not only can you make your own levels, you can make your own missions! The options are limited only by your mind.

Buy or Rent?

Any self-respecting FPS lover needs to have this game in their video game library. Even if you don't normally play or like first person shooters, you HAVE to at least rent this. At least. It's the best FPS to date.

This is one of those situations when I wish I could give fractions, because while this game has scores of great things about it, there are just a few things that keep it from
perfection. Nonetheless, it's the greatest FPS, and one of the best games, I've played. With fun, fast and furious action that will keep you playing for hours on end, with or without friends, this game is a must have.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/08/02, Updated 12/08/02