Review by Jules Rules

"It's a ditto, but still sweet.."

I have really got into the fighting games, to be honest. My cousin used to have all the Tekken games and i used to play them at his house and i enjoyed them, but never really decided to purchase one of the titles. When Tekken 4 released, i finally paid attention to the game, and seeing as i had tons of money to spare, i decided to purchase 'The King of Iron Fist Tournament 4'. Here's my review.

Graphics
As expected from a PS2 title which has debuted on the console, the graphics are top-notch. It definitely expands the realism of the game. The most graphical areas in the game are such as the backgrounds of the scenes you fight on, and the characters. Character's hair and clothes also move around when you fight due to the wind, and it truly feels like a real fighting movie. In one scenario in the game, you can fight in the woods and it contains a part of water which looks like REAL water, it looks like it's a DVD movie. Excellent graphics.

Sound
Music on each levels, some are boring and dull, others are quite entertaining and urges you to fight your opponent to the death. It won't affect your fighting style though, as you're too focused on beating your opponent, you hardly pay any attention to the music in the background. On to other audio parts in the game, when you smash someone through glass or threw a statue, you will hear it break and it will sound real, quite sweet. As in the past Tekken's, on replays or when you finish off your opponent, they will groan in pain and slowly go the floor. On one scenario, you will have people in the background who are sat there in the pub cheering on fights (as they always do) and the atmosphere puts you in the seat of the fighter, it's cool. Although many sounds can be quite annoying at times..

Gameplay
Very basic, if you're new to the series and worrying, don't worry. The controls are very, very easy to learn. It's just the same as the past Tekken games. Something i found out really late in the game, was the ability to smash your opponent through a statue or other objects. I also found something really funny when i was playing in the scenario where drunken people are in the crowd: I performed an excellent move with Bryan and went crazy, and i was next to some men in the crowd, and it also knocked some of them over aswell as my opponent, it was funny. I think the game is truly exciting and if you have just had a bad day at work, play Tekken 4 and enjoy yourself, you can also pretend that someone you hate really bad is your opponent in the game ;).

Onto Tekken Force mode, something i have really, really enjoyed in the past Tekken games. I always play it when i first log on to the game's menu, and it's always immense. It's really, really tense and interesting. When i got onto the last boss in the mode, i was shaking when i had one move to finish him off, and i was like ''YES!!'' when i finished Heihachi off and completed it for the first time, it's truly the best Tekken Force mode i have played, although i don't think some of you will agree with me. Beautiful.

Story
Different endings and backgrounds for every character in the story mode, and it will take quite a while to unlock their ending movies, depending on which difficulty level you play on. Tekken 4 is the fourth in the 'King of Iron Fist Tournament' series, and the story focuses on mainly Kazuya Mishima, Heihachi Mishima and Jin Kazama, who are all related to each other and all hate each other for some reason *confused face*, although you will enjoy the whole story while eating a box of popcorn. Could be slightly improved, though.

Replayability
Quite a lot of options and features in the game to replay. What i like is the ability that it stores all of YOUR information in the game (ie. your highest scores), which is truly amazing and lets you keep your own data stored. So you have the challenge of re-trying in Tekken Force Mode, Survival Mode, etc and trying to beat your old top-score, it's quite neat. Although many feel that there could be more features, i feel it's quite alright, but not exactly perfect. To unlock new characters (like on every Tekken game), you have to progress through the story mode and unlock movies for each character aswell as characters. You've probably been wondering about the multiplayer features on the game, it's quite sweet. The Team Battle can be played against your friends to see who's the dominance of fighting games (something i've always had over my friends), and it's really great. You can also play against the computer in Team Battle, which is less fun but still challenging in a way. If you play in the Arcade mode it's just what the name says, ''Arcade''. You just have random fights with your chosen character, it's just like going to the arcade, putting the money in the machine and seeing how long you can last on it, but this time without paying :). In every Tekken game, people have their favourite character, and it will be fun to master your favourite character's moves and all of his moves. Quite nice in the replayability, but yet again not too perfect.

Buy or Rent?
As i have stated in my other reviews, if you've played the previous game and enjoyed it, purchase it. If you're into fighting games, purchase it, it will be a good game to add to your fighting collection, trust me. If you've never played any Tekken game before, but quite enjoy fighting games, rent it out, it's always best to rent a game out and try it out if you've never played the previous games in the series.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Tekken 4 is overall a great game, and as i'm quite harsh with my review grades, i'm giving the fighting king an 8/10. I don't believe it deserves a 10/10, i've never gived one of them out. It just fits below the 9/10, and could of easily reached 9/10 for me if the game was more long in features, but overall it's a great fighting game and if you're a fighting game fan, get it!

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/24/02, Updated 11/24/02