"Can Spider-Man Come Out and Play?"

Ahh, the legendary comic book hero Spider-Man, the Amazing Spider-Man, and other such names. The story of the loser Peter Parker, turned ass-kickin' hero. I was always a huge fan of the TV show and comics, and the movie rocks. I find the game to be a rather faithful interpretation of this grand story.

Graphics: Don't come here expecting FFX, but the graphics don't disapoint. They are somewhat similar to Devil May Cry, but the visuals are rather easy on the eyes. While not spectacular, they are more than adequate. There's no FMV, but the game gets along without it. I have yet to notice any slowdown. 8 out of 10.

Sound: Excellent. I'm not a big fan of the music, but the voices and sound effects are top-notch. Punches sound like someone is really gettin' hit, shooting webs makes a weird sound, but it's very fitting. The narration is absolutely superb, with many jokes thrown in. In Training, you are instructed to 'Keep fighting, I'm gonna go get a ham sandwich.' When you go to the next objective, the narrator is chewing, and comments on 'too much mustard'. Several characters use their voice acting from the movie, and the sound as a whole is great. 9 1/2 out of 10.

Story: Now, now, now, you should know Spider-Man's basic story. The whole 'radioactive spider' thing? I thought so. A sad story, really, tragic, and riddled with plot-holes, but a classic. The game doesn't follow the movie exactly, and some characters (Norman Osborn, for one) act out of character. However, the things they added to the plot make a good deal of sense, but I think that the super-villains outside the movie shouldn't have been included. It just really makes it seem like the comic instead of the movie. 8 out of 10.

Gameplay: WOO-HOO! Web-slingin', thug-whackin' action! The controls and the like are pretty slick, and it all flows together well. However, some levels require a degree of precision that you simply aren't given. Aside from that, my only other complaints are that the camera is usually very good, but if you aren't in combat it tends to wander around, and that there is limited replay value. 8.75 out of 10.

Da Moogle's Holy Judgement: A fine game, but it may be better suited for a long rental, due to somewhat low game time. I wouldn't regret buying it, but that's your choice, not mine.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 05/11/02, Updated 05/11/02