Review by Tha Man

"Look out, here comes a good Spider-Man game!"

Spider-Man, Spider-Man, does whatever a spider can...

This game is definitely Spidey's best game yet, although the other games were great too. My only gripe with this game is the stealth missions. If I wanted to sneak around in skin-tight clothes I would have bought Metal Gear Solid 2 instead. I guess the fact that Spidey is nice and nimble saves me, but it really is annoying compared to Metal Gear Solid 2. But enough about that game, I'm not reviewing that....

Graphics
The graphics are quite good in this game, nice and fluid. The movies kinda piss me off though, good, but when compared to games like Final Fantasy X, I'm surprised that they didn't look at least a little bit more realistic. However, the in game graphics are really good.

Story
The story in this game loosely follows the movie. To people who haven't seen the movie, yes, all three of you, the game begins with Spidey tracking down his Uncle Ben's killer. Spidey then starts a life of vigilante work. I guess the story is a bit... err... crap at times, but only so that the game can fit in more exciting gameplay, and more characters from the comics. The ending is very sudden though, I didn't like it ('That's my life. It's complicated. I'm Spider-Man. Go play outside.') Oh well.

Gameplay
The gameplay is the meat to this game. I found myself just slinging around, crawling on walls and beating up thugs. That's why I kinda wish they had included a vigilante mode or something like that, were you could just cruising around, stopping small crime and saving people from injury.

The controls to the game are pretty simple, you push R2, Spidey starts swinging, keeps on swinging until you cut the web or hit a wall. You automatically cling to walls, you can do all kinds of combat moves and Spidey even has a few web tricks up his skintight sleeve. You can zip to the ceiling, do the yoyo, (Where Spidey is suspended upside down on his web, which allows him to move up and down slowly.). You can web up enemies and much, much more.

They have included Air-Combat, which is ok, and (Yuck!!!) Stealth missions.

Rent or Buy
Buy I'd say. However, if you don't know whether you'll like it or not, try to rent it first. $100 (Or I think it's $50 over there in America) is quite a bit of money.

Overall
Graphics = Good
Story = Ok
Gameplay = Excellent

Another thing I would like to add is they have added a certain hint of humour to the game, especially from Spidey. I found myself smirking, and sometimes laughing at Spidey's sense of humour.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/12/02, Updated 06/12/02