Review by HYD

"Does a web still looks like a measly thread?"

Introduction
Spiderman: The Movie - The Remake

Ha! I got a new game again! Well, quite frankly, Spiderman: The Movie piqued my curiosity when I found it lying on the shelves. Many movie remake games sold off pretty well, and I think Spiderman is no exception. It still features its free-roaming, web-slinging adventures. In addition to that, there are so many cool stuffs to venture when you get hold of this game. So for now, I present to you: Spiderman The Movie. Enjoy the review people, cheers.

The Green Goblin Hits Town!
Of course, majority of us must have already caught the movie a couple of months back. Even if you don't, you'll still have an enjoyable time playing it. The story starts off with Peter Parker, an ordinary student with extraordinary powers. The game kicks off at a pretty fast pace, pulling you straight into the scene where Uncle Ben has been killed. So, you'll find yourself dumped on a ledge of some skyscraper with a gargoyle statue right in front of you. What to do now? It's all your choice! Of course, there's the main objective that you must complete. And they did add some more goodies into the story itself. Well, I won't spoil it for you then.

New Combos for More Superhero Jobs!
Back then in Spiderman 1 and 2, all you had was the usual combos. Punch, punch, uppercut. Kick, kick, super kick. That's all. But in this latest series, it's a whole new story. Throughout this villain-infested city, there are these little golden spiders scattered everywhere. Some of them are bound to be spotted by you, while the others are hidden. To find those sneakier ones, you will have to venture even further and check every single corner of the map. For what, you say. Whenever you touch one of these golden spiders, Spiderman will gain a new combo. That's right, and some of these are very vital to your survival while you pit your fighting skills to every single thug in the game. You could always rely on your default skills, but you're missing lots of cool moves as well.

Whenever there's a good point in a game, there's always a bad. Well, not all games are perfect, but some are close to perfect. Spiderman: The Movie has a sickening repetitive feature that leaves many of us disgusted. Nope, it's not the graphics, and not the audio capabilities as well. If you ever played Spiderman 1 and 2, you'll notice that you should complete the game within a week. Yeah, it's that short. And while this latest Spiderman game appeared, no improvements were made. On the other hand, it seems that the game length has been drastically deproved. Hear what I have to say, this game can be completed within 3 days.

Graphically Flawless on the Playstation 2
Almost every single game that has been grinded to the state that enables it to play on the PS2 has flawless graphics. And Spiderman: The Movie is no exception. No, it doesn't adapt cel-shading graphics, but its still good. For the majority of you who have played through the tutorial, I daresay that the graphics inside the tutorial scenes are at the peak point. Yep, it may sound weird. And I'm gonna explain to you. Don't be fooled by its smooth graphics in the tutorial, because once you hit the big bad city, it seems that the FPS (frames-per-second) has plunged down severely. The whole game seems to move really awkwardly now. However, it can still be tolerated, it just makes the whole gameplay looks worst.

There are some portions of the game where the cut-scenes graphics look better. On the other hand, there are some, which just displays rather mediocre graphics for the PS2. Sure, they are pretty, but not awesome. Web-attacks have been improved greatly. Back then, web-attacks look like Peter Parker throwing a white yarn ball towards the enemies. But now, there are web-patterns, and foggy scenes when the web is shot out from the wrist. The web dome is the one that is improved to a large extent. In Spiderman 1 and 2, the dome resembles nothing more than an igloo infested with cobwebs. In the PS2 version, you see a blanket of webs, which is exploded and directed towards the enemy at a push of a button. Beware though, subsequent attacks to the dome will result in an automatic attack. Cool, eh?

There are a couple more nifty stuffs you can do with that web-line of yours as well. You can suspend yourself mid-air, upside-down and sneak up on your enemies! This is supposedly what the narrator said, however, I don't find any much use of this except from looking cool. >=)

They Always Seem to find the Classic Narrator
Fans of the previous series will never fail to remember those witty sentences in which the narrator said. Some of them might have even made you topple over and laugh, like what has happened to me. Okay, maybe not that severe. But hey, it will still make you chuckle in the inside. Peter Parker can speak as well. Okay, it may seem like a 'duh' too you, but it's kinda cool during gameplay when some comical dialogue sequence springs outta nowhere.

Yeah, the usual...
So, time to call it a day, right?
This game won't make you puke because of mediocre graphics and earsplitting audio, but it won't make you freeze because of stunning graphics that has been made to the level of perfection either. All in all, it's an above average game in my list, and remembers, you have only 5 days to complete it. Once again, cheers. =)

Summary of the Pros and Cons
+ Witty Dialogues
+ Reasonable Graphics
+ A web looks like a web, that's right.
- Piece of Cake
- No button that enables you to block, yet.

Buy Or Rent?
I'd be a moron if I told you to buy, right? Rent for a week, pay lesser money, and return the game as a winner. If you are really that a hardcore Spidey fan, I can't force you to rent it. But I'm telling you, you would regret leaving this game on your shelves collecting dust 3 days later. Yep, I'm not joking.

Results
All the usual stuffs.
Looks good, but doesn't feel good.
Audio: 9/10
Severely clichéd.
Replayability: 7/10
I don't see the need to replay it.
Buy Or Rent: Rent