Review by Komania

"It's great for beginners... but it sucks for everybody else..."

This was my favorite game. I loved it. When I got it, it was my first Harvest Moon. It seemed like the best game ever. That was then... this is now. Once I played the other Harvest Moon games I felt like this game was lacking somethings. Actually, a lot of things. How the heck can you call this a Harvest Moon. It seems as though Natsume rushed this game. I mean, look back at the others, even the PS game was better than this one.

Graphics 9/10:
I can (can being the keyword) describe the amazing graphics in this game... but I won't. The graphics are so beautifully colorful and vibrant. They are extremly well-done. Everything looks nice and touched up, from the animals to the buildings to the people. The landscape is also very well-done as well. It is beautifully textured and the cel-shading looks amazing. But, good graphics don't make a good game.

Music: 8/10
Very good music. The backround music changes every new season. Even though the music is incredibly good, you won't pay much attention. Although it can get repetitive, it will change before you know it. Overall, the music is great. But, good music doesn't make a good game either.

The best part of this game would have to be the sound. The sound really sounds like it's in the right place. Everytime you use one of your tools, you hear a very nice sound. The animals also make the game even more enjoyable. The cows baa, the chickens cluck, the dog barks. Anyhow, I was happy with the sound and I greatly enjoyed it. But, great sounds don't make a good game.

I have to admit, before I played the other Harvest Moon games I thought this was one of the best games ever. But, compared to the other Harvest Moons that I played over the following years, this game was horrible. You remember marrying a beautiful wife and having a kid? Gone. Remember have lots and lots of crops to plant? Gone, there are only four crops to plant. Remember having sheep? Gone. Remember having festivals? Gone. The point of this game is to save the town from becoming a theme park, you need to trigger one of nine events in order to well... Save the Homeland. I guess that's okay. But the thing that bothers me the most about this game is that you get to play for only one year, you may restart the year and keep your money cows, ect... but the people in the town will act as if you just arrived. There is a house upgrade you can get... whoop-dee-doo, ONE house upgrade. I did like the fact that you needed to earn your horse and dog by doing a special task(s). All in all, this Harvest Moon does not live up to the other games. Many people say they upgraded to the PS2, but I think the actually made it worse. The good thing is it's a great game for people who have never played a Harvest Moon game before. Because this game will warm them up for Natsume's latest work, Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life Special Edition that has been released for PS2.

Replay Value: 4/10
Yeah I know you can keep playing. But there isn't much to do. Once your barn and chicken coop are filled, there is nothing left to do. You will have lots of money and nothing to spend it on during the second year of play. The only reason you MAY want to play this again for a few more times is to see the other endings (there are nine in all). But other than that there is no real reason to keep playing.

Rent or Buy?
If you have already played a Harvest Moon game (other than this one) than stay away, buy AWL:SE (A Wonderful Life Special Edition) instead. But if this is your first Harvest Moon game, I recommend buying it, or at least rent it. Beacue AWL:SE may be a little to complex.

Overall: 6/10 - Average: 7.4 (rounded down to 7)

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 03/19/07