Review by Ratly

"Harvest Moon without the Harvest"

After playing all the different versions of Harvest Moon I was really looking forward to playing this. After playing for about 15 minutes I came to the realization that this game does not deserve the name Harvest Moon. Harvest Moon is supposed to be a game about farming and social interaction. The very things that made Harvest Moon popular were totally revamped. In previous games you were able to get married and have a kid. There is still some social interaction in the game as that is the only way to earn one of the various endings. In STH there is no marriage, and any friends that you make over the course of the year(yes one single year) get lost after you achieve a specific ending. After being able to continue playing past the usual two and a half years, the single year seems to short. The farming leaves much to be desired as there are only four different crops that you can plant. You don't even have to worry about tilling the field as it has already been done for you. All you have to do is worry about watering your seeds. After thinking about it, I realized that much of the things from previous harvest moons are either non existent or they have already been done for you. You don't even have to worry about growing grass for your livestock as you already have a meadow for them to graze. I feel that this game was rushed out the door, it totally loses the feel present in all previous Harvest Moon games. Many of these changes caught me totally by surprise as many of the things I had grown accustomed to from previous games were suddenly taken away from me.

Graphics: 9
The graphics are gorgeous, there's no denying that. Great detail was added to bring every character to life. However graphics don't make a game great.

Control: 7
The controls could use a little work. I found it hard watering my crops and on many occasions I ended up watering an empty square of land because of the weird camera angles.

Sound: 7
The sound isn't too bad, it isn't great either.

This game is definitely a rental first. After playing Harvest Moon for the SNES, N64, PSX, and GBC it just isn't the same. If you want a Harvest Moon game that is simple and easy to get into then yeah this game will probably be your cup of tea. However if you want a true Harvest Moon Experience you might want to give some of the other games a try.

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 03/11/02, Updated 03/11/02