Review by mt430

"I've got the Need...The Need For Speed!"

When I heard that EA was releasing a new Need For Speed game for the PS2, I was excited, I couldn't wait and when I finally played the game, it did not disappoint.

The graphics in this game are beautiful. The tracks look great. The cars look very nice. I'd go so far as to say that they're some of the nicest cars I've ever seen in a video game. The people at EA actually took the time to make the interiors look realistic but they're not as nice as the exterior but I don't care because I mostly pay attention to the exterior.

The difficulty of the game varies from beginner, to advanced, to expert. You also have the option to put on a feature called Catch-Up. Catch-Up allows the cars following to have a little boost in acceleration to catch-up to you. I think it works for you but I'm not entirely sure. For the best challenge, put it on expert difficulty with Catch-Up on.

The game has many modes including Challenge, Quick Race, You're The Cop, Ultimate Racer and Championship. Championship is a new feature to the NFS series. It allows you to participate in a tree of many types of races while unlocking cars and track as you progress through the tree. Ultimate racer is the same thing except it has cops, you unlock different cars and tracks and the challenges are different.

There are 49 cars for you to choose from. Only 7 of them are unlocked at the beginning so you have to work to earn them. There are NFS versions of almost every car that are slightly faster.

There are lots of levels including reverse tracks.

The cops in this game are the best I've seen yet. They try to ram you and use spike strips and road blocks. There's also a helicopter that will shoot missiles, drop exploding barrels and it will drop a section of a spike strip. The only thing that kept this from getting a 10 was the fact that when you pass a spike strip or a roadblock they disappear.

The game has song from various artists including Bush, Hot Action Cop and Uncle Kracker. The vehicle engines sound great and the sound effects are nice.

The game has more rock songs then techno songs. It could've used more techno songs though.

Replay Value: 10/10

You'll want to keep playing this game to unlock the additional cars and tracks. You can unlock cars by doing Championship and Ultimate Racer events, getting NFS points or doing challenges like knockouts.

Buy or Rent?

If you like good racing games then BUY IT! But if you aren't sure if you're like it then rent it and maybe you'll change your mind.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/16/03, Updated 01/16/03