Review by HawkeyeMash

"A horror game with a sexy leading lady in the action!"

This game for me personally is just awesome!! Why you ask? Well I'm a World War II buff and our heroine fights the Germans during the war. And there is plenty of gore and blood for those of you who enjoy that sort of thing. And Rayne is not hard on the eyes, if you know what I mean.

I love all horror games and Bloodrayne is just perfect to me. The graphics look very well done (If it's anything over PS1 standards it's sweet to me). The levels are not too difficult, except a few towards the end where you use a Mech robot to fight several other Mechs. That took some time to do correctly.

And the fact that Rayne is half human, half vampire is a great storyline for the game. Her only weakness is water, which you come across in a few of the games levels. And when she's low on energy, just find a victim somewhere and feed! But if you don't need energy then you can take your anger out on those enemies on screen and watch the body parts go flying!

Oh, and case you didn't know. There are talks about a BloodRayne movie. I'll be watching that!

Presentation
From start to finish, the game has plenty of action. You are either fighting some zombie looking creatures, German Soldiers, or zombie German Soldiers. Some levels require you to think before going into. Which is fun, instead of just running around and killing whoever you see. And the boss battles are very challenging. 10/10

Graphics
Like I said before, if it looks better than the PS1, I'm happy. I'm an old gamer who grew up on the Atari 2600. So if the person isn't drawn like a stick figure (Superman Atari game, for those older gamers who have played it) I'm a happy guy. And with all the blood, and graphic violence I really can't complain about this game. It's a game that I wished about for several years. And I'm glad that more horror games are coming out on the PS2, and hopefully on the PS3 in the near future. 10/10

Sound
The music really works on the game. It sets up mood for danger, or for killing your enemies. And I laugh when Rayne makes a comment about her victim or when the victim is half dead and trying to escape from Rayne. Most horror games have great music for mood and BloodRayne is one of them. 10/10

Gameplay
Blood, body parts, and language! Everything a horror games needs and this one has it all. I never once was bored with watching Rayne chopping up some poor German soldier. Or watching a kill in slow motion while the other soldiers tried desperately to kill me. I love horror games too much I guess. There are plenty of levels to finish, but you could probably finish this within a rental. 10/10

Lasting Appeal
After finishing the game once, there wasn't any real replay to it. Unless you played around with the in game codes, which are fun to mess with. But since I love horror games, I waited a month and played it all over again. And in 2004, BloodRayne 2 will be out. I can't wait!! 10/10

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/03/04