Review by Tails47

"A Great Fighting Game"

The X-Men have returned!!! Some X-Men that have returned are Cyclops, Storm, Wolverine, Gambit, Rogue, and Nightcrawler are in this game. The Brotherhood is back too. This is the newest addition to the Xmen: Mutant Academy games. Okay this is a great game. There are a lot more secrets to unlock. So you are probably asking, what makes this different from any other fighting game? Well, this game has 5 modes to play.

The first one is story mode (a fighting with a story, you never hear of those). Well I dont want to ruin the story (you have to find that out for yourself) but basically after each stage in the game you can choose out of 4-6 characters that the game gives you.

The second mode is arcade mode. This mode, like in all the other X-Men fighting games, you choose a character, then you randomly battle some characters.

The third is Vs. Mode. This is where you can fight a friend.

The fourth is Survival Mode. This is the most challenging mode. You choose a character and you battle randomly selected characters. The catch, after every fight, the damage that you lose, you never get it back. You do get health back though, you just have to beat your enemy really fast.

The fifth and finale mode is Practice Mode. In this mode you choose a character, choose your enemy you want to fight, and choose the arena in which you want to fight in. In this mode you can practice your moves and combos. You can change your enemy's settings so it can jump, or even battle you.

Okay now the ratings.

Story 9/10
Finnaly a fighting game with a story. The story is excellent and it is a nice twist in a fighting game. Like I said before, I dont want to ruin the story so you have to find it out for yourself.

Graphics 9/10
The graphics is this game are stunning. The characters are wonderfully drawn. The backrounds have great detail. The backrounds change. For Example, if my character kicks your character threw a door, you go into the next room. And if I punch you off a roof, then you will fall right into the ground. Overall great graphics.

Sound 8/10
Now like in most games sound always decreases the overall score. The sound here is pretty good. And the music is good too. All the music is good for a game. I wouldnt put this is my CD player and listen to it all day long.

Gameplay 9/10
The controls are easy to use. There really isnt any button bashing in this game.

Replayablilty 9/10
After you beat story mode, there is so much for you to do. you can play arcade, survival, Vs, or you can practice your moves in practice mode. Plus there are many secrets to be unlocked in the game.

Characters 9/10
Activision created good characters. their are 20 characters to start. There are six more, but you have to unlock them. Like I said in the graphics section. The characters are wonderfully drawn.

Buy or Rent??? Buy X-Men Next Dimension!!! It is a good game.

I hope I made this game sound like a lot of fun. And I hope you consider (and hopefully buy) this game.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/03/03, Updated 02/03/03