Review by Rick L

"OMG!!! This makes me want to speak awesome gibberish like "sgkdfdk"!!!"

The newest arrival of the MK series has arrived. I have been waiting a few years for this game on mk5.org, and to me, this game has not dissapointed for me at all. This has to be the best game since MK2. The last couple of MK games have seemed to be quite a half-assed job. Not this one! This one was definitely done to perfection, and then some.

This is just....sweet. Every visual can be compared to the equivilant of a candy bar to the human eye. The characters look great and wonderful, and the levels are amazing! Wow! My eye is eating all this up right now. No more comments on this part, unless I simply wish to repeat myself.

I'm not one to be picky on sounds or anything, but these are pretty good. The appropriate sound is there for the appropriate time. The voices are pretty cool, and seem to fit with each character pretty well, IMO.

Off the charts. This game is just simply incredible, and has so much to do in it.

The arcade mode has you pitting yourself against a bunch of the other fighters. A basic one-player mode, and pretty good. You'll get to meet big bad Moloch here in this mode. Pretty simple to explain.

The versus mode has you and a friend fight each other. No more hitting the start button to continue! That's what I noticed the most. It's the basic ''you and a friend'' setup here. Nothing to complain about.

There's also a practice mode, which lets you try out different moves and stuff like that. Great for warming up and getting the basic gist of this game. You have all the tools availible for you, infinite time, and infinite energy.

The ''Konquest Mode'' I could compare to the ''Focused Training'' in Killer Instinct for N64. Basically, you're given instructions, and you have to do them in the time alotted. You have eight training matches, which are universal for every character. Then you go onto the character-specific training manuvers, where you learn how to use the combos, special moves, and stance-switch combos. (I can't remember the name for those off-hand.) At the end of this, you will fight yourself in a best of 5 rounds fight. For each of the ''missions'' you complete, you earn ''Kurrency'', which can be used in the Krypt. Each character has 10 special ''missions'' to go through.

The Krypt is where you can buy all your secret stuff, including characters, hints, more Kurrency, arenas, etc. The coffins are all arranged by alphabetical order, starting with AA, and ending with ZZ. You have a lot to unlock in front of you, so get goin'!

The options mode is where you can simply change different things like control function, difficulty, etc. Things are self-explanitory.

And then there's the option for where you can view all the things that you've bought in the Krypt. There's some pretty sweet things in there, from what I've seen so far.

The gameplay is absolutely sweet in this game. There are two different hand-to-hand styles that each fighter has in the game, and there's also a weapon that can be used as well. With most weapons, if you do a throw, you'll implale your opponent with your weapon, and they'll slowly lose life on their life meter! The blood effects are great, as when an opponent is his, you see the blood actually dripping down their body. The fatalities are very well done, and are always gory, yet pretty much humorous for some of them, especially Bo' Rai Cho's fatality.

Replay Value: 10/10

Doing everything in this game is gonna take a while, so be ready for at least a week of playing! There's just so many things to unlock here!

Definitely the best Mortal Kombat game there is. This game was definitely well worth the wait, and if you're into the whole blood and gore factor, definitely do yourself a favor and pick it up. You'll be delighted.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/30/02, Updated 11/30/02