Review by deanawulflyr

"Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly"

It was a wonderful game in my estimation. Every level was well detailed and provided just the right amount of challenge for me. The characters were finely drawn and were without blurring or imperfection, which can be expected in any Playstation 2 game. The bonus levels were very intense, drawing on elements from all the previous games, including extra minigames to win more dragonflies. The tank minigame in the Honey Swamp was the worst, though. I had a lot of trouble getting the dragonfly in that one, which made all the more worthwhile for me. You can't get back into the dragon castle, and although that is typical of every Spyro game, it would be fun to slip in there and see what we can find inside. You know, bonus levels, fun minigames, visits with characters that only appear at certain points in previous games, that sort of thing. The enemies are very well done, difficult enough to challenge, but easy enough to get by without dying in the process, most of the time. The game itself is a cut above the rest of the series as I have previously stated. The colors and smoothness of the animation is amazing. You can actually count Spyro's scales if you want to, all the way down his back to his tail, which you could never do before. The breath attacks are equally breath-taking, pardon the pun. First, there's the Bubble-Breath, which helps you to capture the dragonflies, who are very shy and like to be left alone. Then there's the Lightning-Breath, which sends out bolts of lightning out to a further distance and on a wider spectrum than the normal Fire-Breath can, although Fire-Breath is itself improved for this game. And finally, the Ice-Breath, which freezes anything living it touches solid. This works on NPC's (Non-Player Characters) as well, allowing you to reach higher places at certain points in the game. The movements are less clunky than in the previous Playstation 1 games, suggesting an entire overhaul of that particular system. It is pressure sensitive, though, so sometimes you make one more move than you meant to. This is fine for most everything except jumping. Accidentally hitting the button even one more time than necessary can cause problems. Take the Glide, for example. I f you hit the Triangle button more than once in a Glide, Spyro will perform his Head-Slam move, which will prevent you from reaching the desired platform, and in some cases, resulting in gruesome death. But that's just part of the fun.

I have only one complaint about this game, however. For a Playstation 2 game it was extremely short. In fact, I practically beat the game in the first day, but didn't want it to be done so soon so I turned right around and played again. I am now on my third time around of playing it, and I never tire of it. If only there were more worlds...

But I digress. On the whole, it was one of the best games I have ever played and as ever, I look forward to the next one. I can only hope that it will have at least a dozen worlds and twenty levels in each world. That would be a great challenge.

Deana Wulflyr

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 10/08/07

Game Release: Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly (US, 11/03/02)