Review by Payzmaykr

"Another Bullseye from Rockstar Games"

Red Dead Revolver
When I saw Red Dead Revolver advertised on television, I will be perfectly honest, I was not very interested. Seeing it in Gamepro and other magazines, I slowly became more interested, but I still had no idea of how good of a game it was. Little did I know, however, my brother was much more interested than I was, and to my surprise, it he had rented it! At first glance, you will more than likely fall in love with its Clint Eastwood-ish style. If you haven't figured this out by now, we're talking about a shooter game, here, and one of the best damn shooters out there. Let's take a closer look.

Graphics
The graphics are unexpectedly good, not that it makes much of a difference considering the addictingly good gameplay. The cut scenes are simply amazing. Rockstar Games truly captured every last detail of the western towns, deserts, saloons, forests, etc. Expect to see a lot of yellows and browns in this game, due to the fact that much of the game takes place in sandy towns with wooden houses and buildings. One other thing to take into consideration is the level bloodshed. Although not shown in the TV commercials, in Red Dead Revolver, you shoot off tons of people's "parts" off, and there is a lot of blood, as there is in the western movies that this reminds me so much of.

Sounds
Expect the basics for a new PS2 game: gunshots, footsteps, and talking. Don't worry, though-- it's not a dull as I made it sound. The way each footstep and gunshot is coordinated with what you see on the screen is very well-done. Note another thing. When Red (the main character) speaks, close your eyes and imagine Clint Eastwood. It definitely reminds my brother and me of him, as he was most likely based on him (as well as in appearance). That's right, he's a gun slinging, quick thinking, don't-take-nothin'-off-nobody kind of guy. Oh, and we can't have a Western Shooter game without that cool whistling noise that sounds off right before two people draw, can we?

Gameplay
This section is where RDR shines. I can't quite think of another game like this one to compare it to, but it's certainly like a lot of shooters (not first person). You can switch between rifles, pistols, shotguns, even bottles. By playing, you assume the role of a bounty hunter who is chasing someone down..... for revenge. Aside from the thousands of dollars you pick up of the journey from bringing in the bad gus, you make a ton of new friends, featuring a Mexican General and an Indian. Some parts of the game are tricky, but what helps is the subtitles that come up. Yeah, they won't leave you hanging : )

Rent/Buy
Definitely rent it if you're low on cash. Trust me, you'll like it. It's easy to find, you can rent it at Blockbuster and other rental stores, and can be bought..... well, pretty much anywhere. Ask around at school or work and see if a buddy has it who'll let you borrow it, but if you can't, it's right to the rental store you go! Enjoy.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 05/26/04