Review by Janfebmar

"It's like a 3D Sunset Riders"

First of all, I really enjoyed this game. I'm a fan of western movies and always wondered why there are not many western video games. This game really captures the feel of a western movie. The music, the graphics and the cut scenes all mold together perfectly to give you a real western experience.

Just because Rockstar made this game don't expect it to be GTA on horses. It's not like that at all, although it is fairly similar to Max Payne.

Gameplay 9/10
This game has fun, addictive gameplay. You run around from town to town and blow people away. If you like 3rd person shooting games you'll really like this one. You can interact with the environment to hide from enemy bullets and reload your guns, then pop out and shoot-em full of lead. You get to play as five different characters throughout the game, each with there own special talents. You might be thinking, "Sure, five different characters, but the levels are all exactly the same". This is not true, levels range from riding on horseback while shooting at moving train, to more stealthy levels of killing guards quietly with a bow and arrow.

One of my favourite parts of the game is Dueling. It's the quick draw showdown thing you see in so many western movies. You have to be quick on the draw and accurate to blow the enemy (sometimes enemies) away.

Graphics 9/10
I don't know why some people seem to have problems with the graphics in Red Dead Revolver. The game looks very realistic, with effects like water, fire, rain, ect. They're much better graphics than other Rockstar titles, like Max Payne and GTA. They really shine in the dueling scenes, you can practically see the fear in your enemy's eye.

Sound 10/10
This is my favourite part of the game. The sound is phenomenal. The music is superb, it really captures the mood of the game amd sounds like something straight out of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. The sound effects are great as well, whether it's the trickle of a stream or the report of the gun it sounds realistic.

Control 9/10
The controls are easy to use, I picked it up fairly quickly. I have heard they can be difficult for left handed people though.

Story 8/10
You play as Red,a bounty hunter searching for the murderer of his parents. Half-Caucasian, half-Native American; all bad ass. The story is pretty good, as good as the story in most westerns. It will keep you interested and watching the cutscenes

Replayability
The story mode of the game is pretty short. Probably about 8 hours depending on your skill. After you complete it, you unlock the Bounty Hunter mode where you have to accomplish special objectives to unlock multi player characters. There's also multi player which is decent, although nothing special.

Rent or Buy
Depends on who you are. I rented this game I intend to buy it next time I see it for sale. If you want a good action game or if you're a fan of western movies you should probably buy it. Either way this game is definitely worth a rent for the Story mode alone.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/19/04