Review by sbd321

"A great western tale"

Red Dead Revolver is an excellent western style action game. The guys at Rockstar Games and Rockstar San Diego have done a great job in creating such a masterpiece. You play as a man named Red, as you progress on your journey to seek revenge on the man who has murdered your father. This game makes you feel as if you are watching a movie or reading a book. Now its up to you to restore order, take over and set out on this great adventure through the west.

I find the gameplay in this one similar to their Max Payne series in many ways. They both share a similar style and have some matrix style features. In terms of length, it depends. If you play this alot, you can beat it in three to five days. If you dont, it can take you as long as three weeks or more. In addition, this game offers other extras to keep you busy for a little longer. The levels arent that long, but some of the enemies take a while to kill. I would say this game varies in terms of difficulty. It can be as easy as pie or hard as a rock. In addition, it also comes with a two-player death match mode. As you progress in the game, you can unlock many other characters as well. One thing that bothered me about this game was the targeting. Holding down R1 constantly just to keep the crosshair on the screen can be irritating after a while.

Rockstar also did a great job on this area as well. The cinematics and scenery in this game are just incredible. I thought that it was great how they made the cutscenes look and feel like you were watching a film from the 1950's. The background and surrounding had a nice western theme and one of the best parts was how they created the effects of the desert , farmland, and saloons. The characters also suit the setting and they look realistic.

Music: 6.5/10

The music in this game was okay as well as the sound effects. They sounded just like western films and I was impressed with how the gunfire sounded, giving a unique experience. As far as the character voices were concerned, I liked them as well. They gave the characters good southwestern and hillbilly accents. Some characters also have funny voices.

The game is linear, which means you play it level, by level. Within the levels, you do many different tasks, such as defend an area, look for something or save someone. Its pretty basic if you ask me and isn't that difficult. To kill someone, especially the bosses can be a pain once in a while.

Replayability

Personally, I think this game does has some replay value with the difficulty settings, multiplayer and other modes. Its fun to play if you have a friend over and you two just want to shoot around, either against the computer together on teams or just one on one combat action. Not really the greatest thing in the world.

Rent or Buy?

If you just want to try something new, this one is worth a try. If you're into shooting games and like this stuff, I say go out and buy it. You cant go wrong.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/04