Review by Quebecer01

"Ratchet & Clank has got to be known"

Ratchet and Clank is one of the best games I've ever played. I tried all of the Insomniac's games, and I found that every of their games was better than the one released before (Spyro 1 was better than Disruptor, Spyro 2 was better than Spyro 1, Spyro 3 was better than Spyro 2, and Ratchet & Clank IS better than Spyro 3.)

So I rented Ratchet & Clank. The story isn't pretty good : Drek wants to take parts of planets to introduce them in his own planet. He creates robots, and the robot B-43278 (or something like that...), later baptized Clank, isn't well programmed, and flee on Ratchet's planet, where he convinces Ratchet to help him save the solar system.

The rest of the game is simply amazing, though : marvelous graphics and animations, incredible sound, awesome voices, and great graphics (I had to mention it twice).

If the game in itself is amazing, we can't tell the same thing about its length ; 12 hours are enough to complete the game, so if you don't like to play games when you've finished them, only rent it one or two times. Otherwise, you'll throw it in the garbage. But if you're the same as me, you will enjoy Ratchet & Clank again and again.

Another excellent addition : The game has been done in five languages ; so as I am a Quebecer, and I usually speak French, I like to play games in my own language, and if I want to practice my English or Spanish, I only have to switch the language. Sweet.

The gameplay is pretty original : traveling through space, from planet to planet, fighting robotic ennemies to collect their bolts, and spend them for new weapons...

Two bad points for Ratchet & Clank : The length ( I already told you about this ), and the ( boring ) musics, that are almost annoying.

In short, Ratchet and Clank has got to be known. Here's a quick review of the most important points in Ratchet & Clank.

Gameplay : 10/10 In one word : AWESOME

Graphics : 9/10 These could be more detailed, but they're still better than Army Men... :)

Story : 7/10 We're still in a You-got-to-save-the-world-from-a-bad-guy scenario.

Sound and voices : 9/10 The sounds are excellent, as well as the voices.

Replayability : 7/10 Good, but only for 5 or 6 times, and for collecting the gold bolts.

To buy or to rent? To rent first, and to buy after if you liked it, but if you're the kind of people that stop playing after they've finished a game, don't bother.

Fun : 15/10 I think the score tells all about this...

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/30/02, Updated 11/30/02