Review by merrylilpip

"I'll Rip Ya A New One!"

All great games get a good review. All partner games like Banjo Kazooie or Jak and Daxter come with a good score. Simply excellent games that will make you speechless, will have a good everything, with a fair critisism. Yes I did give it a 9. Mostly because I wanted to give it a 9.5, but I just didn't feel that Ratchet and Clank deserved a full mark because I could find some things I could mention about the game. I got Ratchet and Clank when I went to a friend's house and there it just blew my mind away!

First of all the story, a definite 10/10. The plot is great and it's funny. It's easy to follow and knowing that you are playing for a certain objective, is worth knowing. It starts off with a brilliant scene. The before stories of Ratchet and Clank. The meeting of Ratchet and Clank, and their mission. The arguments and differences of the two. The finishing scene and leaves on a cliffhanger. Not a to be continued. It leaves you off thinking what's going to happen to them after their adventures. As soon as Locked and Loaded came out or Going Commando (Ratchet and Clank 2) I knew that this was my sort of game and seeing as I started and finished Ratchet and Clank, I had to do the same for Ratchet and Clank's second big moment. The cut-scenes and the story scenes in the game are so enjoyable to watch. When you've completed it you can watch them as much as you like by choosing the one you like!

Gameplay, absolutely, grandspanking magnificent gameplay! The controls are easy to learn. The whole game takes a fair amount of time to complete and there isn't just a part of the game where you just freeze and you have no idea what to do next. The game has a map, and is not easy and not too difficult. (This is the major area that Jak and Daxter needs to improve on.) Yes it has a map so navagating Ratchet or Clank round the level is quite easy. The weapons and the way the look in the game is amazing. The weapons look realistic (well in a cartoon's sense anyways) and they are easy to use and keep using. You can buy the weapons by using currency, which in this land is bolts! Bolts are attracted to Ratchet so being rich in Ratchet's world isn't hard! You can pick up items or just earn items. Upgrades for Clank. All easy to use. There's buttons on the controller for everyone! Lastly there's a mixture of all sorts of types of games. Hoverboard RACING. SHOOTING down guards. USING YOUR WITS to out smart tough enemies. Ratchet and Clank on his wild ADVENTURES. Finally the punishment system for each game. In Ratchet and Clank, you can earn health and pick it up. When you die, you just simply start from the last place you left off as instead of the beginning of the level. No gameovers, no long death just die and try again! For gameplay 10/10 definitely.

Graphics and sound deserves a..... 15/10! Yes they are that good. They use real people's voices (realistic and no weird cartoon accents) and put them into a funny, adventure cartoon, with plenty of butt kicking. The graphics are amazing. You can feel the enviroment around you when you play almost. The graphics actually change dramatically in a short period of time just to make it look more realistic in the setting around you. It's set in the future and expressed this factor beautifully. Ratchet himself and Clank can have more detail on them (That's where Ratchet and Clank 2: Going Commando comes in!). Hovering, flying cars stuck in traffic jams. Skyscrapers that their height is limitless. Back to sound, each level has a particular sort of background music which makes it really calming if you can only hear bad guys trying to beat the living daylight out of you. Edoras must be my favourite. So the most important and obvious thing about Graphics and Sound. Care to take a guess? Well the graphics basically has to look good and the sound to sound good. That wasn't so hard was it?

The replay action. Not much to say. Except for that it's extremely enjoyable to play the game as many times as you want! Hang out anywhere! Collect and unlock the secrets. When you complete the game, a whole other range of weapons are out there! Activate cheats! There is actually a cheat menu so cheating is part of the game. Collect as much money as you want and kill Drek the final boss as many times as you want! Play the hoverboard races as much as you want. There is now no limit in what you want to do on Ratchet and Clank!

Final statements. Buy the game. Buy! No renting, buy! Take your time with the game. Enjoy it when it lasts. Oh yeah, one more thing I have to explain. Why did I give it a 9/10 if in all my paragraphs, I gave them a 10? It misses Co-operational playing, 2 or more players gives this game a big boost. Another thing some parts of the game are kinda boring and pretty useless if you don't understand and have got all the equipment that you need to proceed. 9/10 final mark, a legendary playstation2 game for sure.

One more thing... Liked this game? What's stopping you from Ratchet and Clank 2?

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/22/04