Review by FantasyMayDie

"Crikey, this game be a floppy"

Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, a fun little idea that started out enjoyable enough, but soon turned into a premise with no substance and little entertainment. This cartoony, flashy game just isn't quite as fun as one might expect. It gets very repetitive after a short time and you are left with nothing after you beat it.

There really isn‘t one. Basically you take control of an Australian Tasmanian Tiger named Ty, who wears a red ascot around his neck and carries twin boomerangs. You are in search of 5 stolen talismans that will open the portal in which you're family is trapped in. Sure there's a few characters here and there such as Maurie, a cockatoo mentor, who guides you along the way but every character is nothing more than boring stereotypes. There's a couple “twists” in the plot but they're not shocking or in any way exhilarating. The game also hardly utilizes it's Australian setting in it's story in any shape or form. The story here is flat, but to be fair, it wasn't like I was expecting it to be anything but.

Fortunately the graphics don't bring down the game. Visually, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger is wonderful and well animated, with nicely polished models and some pretty cool designs. The environments are colorful and creative, and you really do feel like your down by the bayou. Though you will notice that Ty looks kind of ahem, different, up close.

The gameplay formula is pretty basic. You hit things with boomerangs, rescue fellow animals, occasionally race to a checkpoint, etc. to get these things called "Thunder Eggs". It may seem pretty easy and simple, but don't be fooled, getting the required amount of these Thunder Eggs is no easy task. I've heard many people that I know get frustrated with how this simple task becomes a huge pain in the neck, sucking out all the fun that the game is already lacking.

Each character speaks in strong Australian accents, that aren't ridiculously overdone. There's even a “crikey!” here and there that actually aren‘t too bothersome. The dialogue is childish but that's what you'd expect from a game like this. Sounds effects are fine, it was nice to see that they at least took the time to create different sound effects for each boomerang.

I know this is a short review, but there isn't much to say about the game other than the fact that it‘s just not very much fun. Which is what a game should be right? Maybe the environments and characters will amuse you for a minute or two and you might even like some of the boomerangs; but all that aside Ty the Tasmanian Tiger is rather boring, kiddy, and a forced attempt to entertain. A cluttered project to say the least.

Rent or Buy:

Obviously I'm not too fond of the game. In my opinion it just failed in what it was trying to be. If you pick it up you'll immediately question why your playing and will easily become frustrated. So my verdict, just take a pass on this, Jak and Daxter did it better.

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 05/07/06, Updated 03/27/14

Game Release: Ty the Tasmanian Tiger (US, 09/10/02)