Review by mandyfanforevr

"Why didn't anybody tell me it was this great?"

From what all my friends were telling me, this game was the worst ever released. If I so much as mentioned getting it, they ranted about how horrible it was, and how every other game out there was better. The only reason I got it at all was because someone mentioned it was a bit like Crash, which has always been a favorite of mine. That, and I had just about every other platform worth mentioning that had been released in the last 6 months for the PS2, plus a few for GBA, and I desperately wanted something new. In short, I was pleasantly surprised by how much fun I derived from Ty, even though it turned out to be nothing like Crash. On to the details, since that is what you are here for, is it not?

Audio
Like I said, I love Crash, but the music runs through my head for days after playing it, which can be irritating to the point of insanity. Luckily Ty has none of that! My mom doesn't much care for the music, but I liked it.. upbeat and cheery. As for general sound effects, they are mostly like any other game, nothing either bad nor good worth mentioning. The only problem I can think of is that the beeping for one of the techno-rangs can get slightly annoying, but you can always switch to another one to make it stop. Overall, I'd give it an 8/10.

Graphics
When the opening scene came on, I couldn't believe how realistic it all looked... well, besides the talking Tasmanian tiger, of course. It could have been filmed it looked so real... the actual game isn't quite up to the same level of quality, but that's to be expected unless you want to wait 10 minutes for the levels to load. The boomerang effects are nice, they leave tails of fire/snowflakes/whatever is appropriate. The water is also pleasant, although you can swim right through the lily pads without them moving or anything, which I found a bit displeasing. There are a few other instances of similar happenings, but at least the tall grass moves when you walk through it. Everything else is what you'd expect from a PS2 game, so I'll give it a 9/10 overall.

Story
The opening scene is a bit dry and boring, not to mention long. (Keep in mind I'm not a fan of RPG's with hour long cut scenes... skip the story, I'll have my jumping and destruction, please!) It could have used a bit of humor or romance or suspense... something! (You should also know that I have a short attention span when it comes to these types of things.) Luckily, the in game cut scenes had plenty of the aforementioned aspects to keep me entertained, especially in the last level. The basic story as I understand it is this: Ty's parents/family were fighting Boss Cass for the talisman's that would create chaos on earth (or wherever this may be). In the process of this battle, they got sucked into and trapped in the dreamland, which caused an explosion, which spread the talismans around the world. Your mission is to get the talismans back, free your parents and, of course, defeat Boss Cass so the world will be safe again. There are a few additions and twists throughout the game, which I won't mention here, but cut scenes aren't all that frequent nor lengthy for the most part. There may be a way to unlock more movies or something, but since I haven't figured that out yet I can't say if they're plot related. Overall (considering this is a platform) I believe the story deserves an 8/10.

Gameplay
Ah, the heart of any platform. Something I was told repeatedly was that this game was repetitive, but beyond the level environments, which there's a basic three of (rainforest, snowy mountains, barrier reef) that are only used 3 times, each level had new aspects which were far from repetitive. Between searching for lost treasure, battling a giant octopus, rescuing children trapped in brush fires, riding a bull type animal, plus many other tasks, you won't be bored for awhile. Add in the standard collectibles (5 Bilbies, 8 thunder eggs (usually earned by completing tasks), 300 opals (like gems in Spyro or orbs in Jak & Daxter), 10 golden cogs (all numbers are per level), and near invisible boxes) plus the sheer area to explore, and you'll find yourself spending a couple hours (at least!) on each level. There's 3 bosses, which all take a bit of creativity and thinking to defeat, and 9 levels. Just to give you an idea of how much time you can get from it, I completed the game in about 17 hours, but I'm still far from collecting everything. Oh yeah! I haven't even mentioned the different types of boomerangs yet! You have flamerangs, zappyrangs, frostyrangs, kaboomerangs (they explode on impact, which is very cool, even though I haven't found a use for them yet!), infrarangs (lets you see things you can't normally see.. good for those transparent boxes), multirangs (throw 6 at once instead of just two), megarangs (just one takes out everything around you, good for groups and when you're surrounded), plus one that I haven't gotten yet and a few others I didn't mention. In all this rambling I haven't thought of even one bad thing about the gameplay, so I'm awarding it with a 10/10.

To buy or to rent?
Ty has far too many things to find to just rent it, plus it's so much fun, why would you want to give it back? That, and it's price recently dropped to a measly 20 dollars, there's really no reason to buy it. You might have a bit of trouble finding it, though, I had to go to four stores!

Conclusion
Add together lots of kick ass 'rangs, creative boss fights, numerous and original tasks/mini-games, tons of collectibles, many of which aren't easy to obtain, fantastic graphics, catchy music, a Tasmanian tiger with a mission and you get a fun game that will entertain you for weeks!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/11/03, Updated 03/11/03