Review by Bass0r

"Stop the Imperium, or be destroyed."

Warhammer 40,000: Fire Warrior. This game introduces you to the Tau, a newly discovered race, who have been devastated by the Imperium. You play as Vior'la Kais, a lower-rank Shas'la Firewarrior (Line Trooper). You and your fellow Firewarriors go through the trenches of the Imperium in your attempt to restore peace to your planet. Each mission will be your Trial-by-Fire, and the only way you can achieve a higher rank is to accomplish each of these. The Imperium is powerful, but you may still have a chance.

Gameplay - 8/10
This truly has great gameplay, and being one that doesn't play many first-person shooters, it must have had a great impact on me. Although at times it can get slightly frustrating, you should soon learn which paths to take, and what weapons will be most effective in certain surroundings. The difficulty can vary, and although it has a difficulty setting, a beginner may find it challenging even on Easy mode. The cut-scenes tell a great story, and will get you enjoying the game even further. The controls can be tricky if you aren't used to them, but there are multiple control settings, so you can see which one you work with best.

Graphics and Sound - 9/10
Watching cut-scenes with the Surround Sound will definitely be great fun, and you could sit there for hours just watching the introduction to the game. The sound effects of rifles blazing, ships soaring and chainswords buzzing will get your heart rate up, and possibly wake up your neighbours. In-game graphics are superb, and the detail in buildings give a great gothic feeling to your gameplay. The one problem with the sound is that it can sometimes be hard to hear speech, especially in the midst of gunfire.

Play Time and Replay - 7/10
If you're on of those people who like to look at everything in the game (like myself), you will be playing this for months. If you're the type of person who hastily runs through a crowd of enemies, so you can get to the end of the level quickly, hoping you get everything, good luck, because you're going to need lots of it. The game's enemies have an excellent artificial intelligence, and the mission objectives (including secret objectives) will have you playing this for a long time, because the areas of each level expand further than the objectives take you, so exploring everything will be a challenge in itself. Multiplayer will give you even more fun than before, and with the Playstation 2's online gaming, you'll be playing this for hours on end. Not having the online function or a second controller myself, I had to try the multiplayer games at a local games store (yes, I'm cheap, don't hurt me).

Final Thoughts
This game is definitely worth buying, but, of course, not everyone will have the same opinion as me, so renting this game first is the best option. If you like it, you should obviously buy it. This game would also be a great way to be introduced to the Warhammer world, so buying this for a friend who isn't could be a great idea (especially if you needed someone to battle against).

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/10/03