Review by samthebigkid

"Medal of Honor meets Warhammer 40,000"

It is a day of joy for Warhammer 40,000 fans. This is one of the best First Person Shooters I've ever played. If you never played the Table-Top game of Warhammmer 40,000, then you really don't know much about the scenario. But for those who have (probably the majority of those who bought the game), you are in for a big treat. Coming at you with all your favorite weapons and everything. Not too many flaws here.

Graphics- Okay this a weak point actually. The graphics are below average for the most part. It's weird. The enemies and allies look blocky sometimes, and others don't. Also, the weapon you're holding actually looks very good, like better than most games I've seen. It's weird how the graphics balance out. Also, the cinemas look very good. The final boss of the game (I won't say who/what it is) is very detailed. I say the graphics are okay but nothing phenomenal.

Sound- Very excellent. The game has many voices that all sound realistic. They have emotion and a sense of enthusiasm. The weapons sound very realistic. The strange and horrific noises of the chaos tainted places (will be explained). The explosions sound good too. And as for the cinemas, they sound as good as they look.

Gameplay- The best part. Okay for starters, it's a First Person Shooter. You are a Tau Fire Warrior named Kais. It is the Year 40,000. The Imperium of Man (Humans and Genetically Engineered Humans) attack your settlement (Humans are very cold against alien races). In the first missions, you stop them, counterattack, and such. You are an infiltrator. Later on you have to ally with them to fight the Chaos (Humans who have turned to Satanic ways and have Demons on their side). You have two weapons at once. I main and a spare (three if you include your close co,bat knife). You must always keep a Tau weapon with you (a Tau war tradition). Tau weapons range from decent to great. These include Pulse Rifle, Pulse Carbine, Burst Cannon, and Rail Gun. Other weapons include your classic Bolters, Chaos Bolters, Rocket Launchers, Lasguns and Pistols, Plasma Gun and Pistol, Sniper Rifles, and more. You may also operate turret guns. Also you have grenades that are thrown. This is about a one second delay. However, if you have the Pulse Carbine, there is no delay and it fires harder and more accurately (the Carbine has a grenade launcher attachment). There are quite a few enemies to use these on too. From the weak Imperial Trooper to the mighty Chaos Demon Prince, you'll be kept busy. Now the bad part is your guy can get stuck on things and sometimes you are forced to kill yourself because you cannot move (This is rare but it happens). But that's really it for the flaws. the game is very challenging, even on the easy setting. The controls are pretty easy to get used to. I think this is quite the innovative gameplay myself.

In conclusion, this is one great game. I highly recommend it to Warhammer 40,000 fans and First Person Shooter Fans. With much fun and little flaw, I give Warhammer 40,000: Fire Warrior for PS2 a 9/10.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/03/04