Review by pyrope53

"Rockstar does it again!!"

Rockstar games won the gaming world over with Grand theft auto III and gta vice city. Now they come back with a sequel to their greatest hit seller midnight club: street racing. And to put it simply, this is THE best racing game you can get.

Gameplay 9/10
Now I never played the original midnight club, so i didn't know what to expect, but i was very pleased with what i saw. There are a good amount of cars, and gameplay modes. Now there aren't many levels (three to be exact) but the levels you get are great. They are very big and have many cool jumps and interactive pieces of the environment. The ini games are okay too like capture the flag and detonate mode.

Controls 9/10
The controls in MCII are great, very similar to gta. And i really like the gta controls.Most of it is the typical racing controls. X accelerates, analog stick clicks are headlights and horns etc. The only thing that kept this category from getting a 10 is the way you turn. No its not the physics, its the analog stick. I hate using the left analog stick to drive. I prefer the d-pad because its way more precise. And why make the d-pad change the music, it sucks anyway. Which brings me to my next point.

Sound 3/10
As I said before the music in MCII is terrible. But not all the sound is bad. The sound effects like tires skidding and cars crashing are all pretty good but hardly enough to save this category. In my personal opinion probably not everyone's, The music is just annoying. It's a terrible blend of techno and rap. Both types of music bug me. But, that's just my opinion.

Graphics 8/10
The graphics in this game are very good, don't be mislead by the score. I was surprised this game actually game from rockstar with these graphics compared to the very well below average graphics of the gta series. The only thing bad about the graphics comes out when you compare the graphics to other games on ps2 like burnout 2, NFS:HP2, and of course, Gran Turismo 3. The rain affects and things like that are cool though.

Lasting appeal 10/10
MCII will keep you occupied for a long time until the next one. With many one and two player modes and a great career mode, you'll enjoy it for a long time. But the main thing that you will want to keep playing this game for is the online play. You can try to test your skills against other MCII players.

So to buy or to rent? In my opinion, this is a must buy for any racing fan, or anyone who wants to try a completely new, non-linear, high intensity racer.

Total- Midnight Club II- 9/10