Review by M. Fletcher

"Fly like a hawk. Tony Hawk returns for his fourth outing in this triumph."

Tony Hawk returns for his fourth run out. Although the Hawk games are great, do we really want annual installments every year?

Still as engaging and addictive as any game ever released. There are a ton of different levels and different characters for you to try your hand at, of course some of the characters are better than others. You now have about 3 times as many goals to complete in a career for each person and they become progressively harder. This is unlike Tony 3, where they stayed at the pretty much the same difficulty the whole way through.

That level of detail is still there. The characters themselves are nicely done and the backgrounds look good. The animation runs unfaltered. For the size of this game, they graphics are better than expected. I noticed in some areas the amount of detail that went into some of the surrounding areas, especially certain buildings which look incredibly realistic.

I'm not a big fan of the sound in this game but then I hate the sound in almost every game. Just turn the volume down if you don't like it or turn it off. You don't have to listen to it, just stick on your own songs on a CD player or listen to the game noises. The poor music quality isn't exactly a catastrophe. Leave the game noises on though, they sound nice enough, especially when he falls.

Controls: 10/10
The controls are more or less the same as Tony 3 with some improvements. They are excellent and let you combine moves really well. No complaints.

Multiplayer: 10/10
Yes, an excellent multiplayer experience. The Hawk series really takes competitive multiplayer gaming to a whole new level. Competing simple to see who can get a better score in each level will keep the interest up.

Replay Value: 10/10
With 3 Times as much career replay value as Tony 3, and with new tracks and improved controls, this game should have you busy for months upon months. It is easy to waste a couple of hours when you only planned to have a quick 10 minutes before going to bed. Still as addictive as ever.

The Hawkster continues to reign in the extreme sports genre of the Playstation 2. An essential buy for even those who think that Skateboarders are losers.

Buy/Rent: Buy
The gameplay is more addictive than any other game I have experienced. A triumph. To conclude with the answer to this question: Do we really want annual installments every year? You're damn right we do.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 10/30/02, Updated 10/30/02