Review by GEOSAUR

"A good game, but rent before you buy nonetheless..."

Hello, and welcome to my review of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4(THPS4). I am a big fan of Tony Hawk games, so dont get me wrong, but this game wasn't too much really. See why in this review.One of my concerns which isnt too important, but still matters, is the music. Still I'll talk about that in the proper section.

Well, the character graphics for your skater are excellent. Smooth, clean , and great graphics. The levels are decent also. But the NPC's are so bad, they could have been done on the PS1 or PSX. Say that Tony Hawk was an NPC. Instead of using the graphic of him when you play as him, they use a much crappier model, which looks pretty bad.Honestly, I guess i can see the reason why they did it, but still. There are a few other things that could have been improved on, but nothing serious. The graphics are basically re-used from THPS3...but still good.

The sounds from your character are the usual and are decent. The Npc's voices are excellent! Chad Muska is the ! But I really the music for this game. The Muskabeatz tracks, Goldfinger and System of a Down are the only good tracks besides a couple of the hip-hop tracks. Honestly, some of the stuff was garbage. Ac-dc? I mean come on Neversoft and Activision! Try to get some new tunes into the next game.

Basically the same-old same-old Tony Hawk Controls and style, with a twist. Instead of getting 2 minutes for the goals, you get to go into as free-skate kind of mode, and when you talk to NPCs they tell you the goals, and you go from there. Once you have attempted the goal you can do so again from the menu. This is exremely convenient, I am glad they did so. I like this style better than the other Tony Hawk games.

Difficulty: 8/10

If you are new to the THPS series this game will be extremely difficult to you. I myself, mastered THPS2 (I know almost everything about this game) beforehand, so that lessened the difficulty considerably. Some of the regular golas, as well as the pro challenges are pretty hard either way. This game will take a while to 100% master. However many of the goals are easy so dont panic.

Replay Value: 6/10

Well unlike the last THPS games, once you complete a goal with one player, you also complete the goal for the rest of the players also, making the game shortened comsiderably. The Pro challenges for each player arent much of a difference seeing as there are 1 per player, and one for C.A.S's and none for hidden players. It wont take you a lifetime to complete this game once anyways...less than a month of playing and you'll have mastered it (possibly). I dont think you'll want to replay this game too many times.

Other stuff:

Well, I rent all my games first before buying now, because I have noticed the games are getting shorter and shorter, I almost beat this game 100% within a 3 day rental from Blockbuster, lol. That is sad. I recommend renting first to everyone for every game, no matter how big the hype (unless it is stated to be a long game). Don't get me wrong, I am a Big fan of THPS games, I played THPS2 so much I mastered everything about the game, 'cept the gaps (who needs em, lol?). But my point is, to be careful. I woudnt spend $70 on a game that I will be done with in a week. lol...

Final Rating: 7/10