Review by Jake5

"The most innovative THPs yet..."

This is, without a doubt, the most innovative game in the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series. From the start this series has been just dripping with originality. The original revitalized the extreme sports genre and made it into the arguably most popular genre. Now here we are in 2002 and the fourth game in the series had just released. It has my vote for Game of the Year. Here's why...

INNOVATION/ORIGINALITY(10/10)

The biggest advance is the great new Career mode. In this mode, you are always in Free Skate, but you skate around huge levels(much bigger that the pathetic ones in THPS3) and talk to people(pro skaters, pedestrians, etc.) and they will give you a goal with a time limit attached. There are 190 goals in the game. The create-a-skater feature is very much improved and you can customize a character to an extent never seen in extreme sports games before.

GRAPHICS(9/10)

The levels are big and nicely animated. But there is still one problem...the faces suck! You can tell who's who, but they don't look all that great. The tricks are nicely animated. Everything is alive in the levels...cars, pedestrians, everything just comes to life. Nice job overall. I've seen only a few graphical glitches, but nothing that renders the game unplayable.

SOUND(10/10)

Sound has always been a key part of the THPS games and
THPS4 continues that tradition. With a huge soundtrack(around 30 songs) and nice voice acting, THPS4 may have the best sound yet in a game. The sound effects are also good...grinds sound like they should, and everything else sound great.

CONTROL(10/10)

The control in the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games has been absolutley perfect since day one. The control hasn't changed much over the years except the addition of manuals and reverts, but if it isn't broken, why fix it? This edition adds the ability to get out of a grind without ollieng out. Just press the R2 button.

OVERALL(10/10)

The best game in the THPS4 series. The change of difficulty is welcome, as the ease of THPS3 turned me away from the series, but THPS4 renewed my faith. Do yourself a favor. Buy THPS4. The only thing you may find wrong with it is that it is just a little too hard for some people.

PROS
+Awesome sound
+Great Career Mode

CONS
-A bit too hard for the casual gamer.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/10/02, Updated 11/10/02